hey pretty

Ceci n'est pas une "dating blog."

Wednesday, December 20, 2006

Attitude Check

As I was saying earlier, I was not at all in the mood for the holiday season. Although I am still not feeling that festive in regards to Christmas, my attitude towards New Year's Eve just lightened a bit. For weeks I've been seeing these ads on TV for the Behnaz Sarafpour line at Target. Perhaps you've seen them too--models in cute girlie mini-dresses with poufy skirts and strapless tops gallivanting around New York City enroute to some place fabulous. I've been secretly lusting over them despite myself, partially because they're the sort of outfits I never wear. My sorted history with self image and body issues normally paralyzes me when it comes to thinking in a fashion-forward frame of mind. I have great style but I never exercise it because I always thing "why bother wearing something funky and cool? It would look so much more ravishing on a skinny girl."

Well that's certainly no way to live, now is it?

So I was IMing with L, and we were discussing clothing as we tend to do because she has fabulous clothes and we share similar style mentalities (although she actually puts her ideas into practice, whereas I normally just wear jeans and a sweater), and I was suddenly inspired to buy something frothy and fun and girly and fabulous for New Year's Eve. And then I remembered the Behnaz line, so I hopped over to Target.com and discovered a lovely purple strapless number with a short poufy skirt and I immediately bought it. It was only 36 dollars, so why not? I normally run in the other direction of strapless frocks, convinced that my imperfect form would look wrong in them. But for 36 dollars, it's okay to experiment, right? A few clicks later, it was purchased, and my attitude towards New Year's Eve festivities has changed remarkably. Now the proud owner of a totally impractical, ultra-femme frock, I almost can't wait to get down to some pre-2007 fun. In a sense, I feel like this dress is a good metaphor for the night itself--fleeting, carefree, and not something to be taken overly seriously in any way, shape, or form. So different from my usual serious-cynical self.

Even better, I told a friend at work about it, and she proceeded to invite me to a dinner party! Now I have yet another option for the night. Regardless of what I end up doing, I will be all dressed up with some place to go.

5 Comments:

Blogger Ryane said...

Buy the $36, adorable-girly cocktail dress, and the party will come!! Don't let body issues hold you back from wearing a fabulous dress. When we are all oldold women, we will never regret having worn the dress (no matter our body issues) but we will regret having NOT worn it...=-) Happy New Year!

8:27 PM  
Blogger Kristin said...

I know the dress of you which you speak. I saw it last night and thought, "That's so cute" and "It would look sooooo bad on me."

I'm glad you're going to wear it. You're an inspiration.

8:29 PM  
Blogger EJ Takes Life said...

Ryane, you are so right! Every day I get dressed I regret that I clad my teenage body in oversize flannels because it was 1994 and I hated my thighs.

HP, good for you. I will also be dressing up on New Year's, so if you come to 3219 we'll be like Edna and Patsy swilling champagne in the corner and cackling.

2:47 PM  
Blogger EclecticBlue said...

I have seen said dress (almost bought it myself) and believe it would be flattering on many figures ... what with the full skirt and close-cut waist. I'm sure you will look stunning :-) (No idea what I'm doing for New Year's but I do plan to dress up!)

3:53 PM  
Blogger Red Photography said...

You women are sweet, thank you. Here's hoping it fits. Ordering a strapless junior sized (I guess my size) dress online sounds rather hit-or-miss. Meanwhile, I will start doing pushups! I'm rather excited to wear something short. I NEVER show my legs off.

And yes, EJ 3219 is on my radar.

And Kristin, I'm sure it would be lovely on you...

4:57 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home