hey pretty

Ceci n'est pas une "dating blog."

Monday, December 18, 2006

Ho, Ho, Hum

I hate to say it, but I'm having a hard time getting into the holiday spirit this year. I'm not a grinch mind you, but I'm having a hard time feeling festive. Perhaps it's the 65 degree weather and the fact that I am schvitzing through my Agnes B. So far I have participated in many of the requisite holiday activities--parties, listening to seasonal music, eating a cookie (I don't really like cookies that much but I thought it would help. It didn't), emptying out my checking account by buying a ton of gifts. So, I don't know what's wrong with me, but it feels nothing like Christmas. If somebody told me that Memorial Day was almost here, I'd probably believe them.

Now is the time of the year when people are also making New Year's Eve plans. That too, I am feeling apathetic about. Part of me is tempted to blow-off amateur night altogether and hide in my house with a bottle of wine and a stack of Netflix. But that feels too antisocial, so I probably won't do that. I have a couple other options, which are being carefully weighed. Hopefully this year I will avoid the curse that loves to plague me on this holiday. That is, I go to several parties (all dressed up), drink a lot, and makeout with random boys. One of them somehow gets my number, calls three days later, and we go out on the most unremarkable date ever. And then my annual winter dry spell commences.

And of course there are the resolutions. This year, I am boycotting resolutions because they always seem somewhat hollow when it comes time to implement them. Sure it would be great to learn Swahili, lose 10 pounds and run a marathon, but I don't need that kind of pressure. Instead, in the spirit of personal growth and betterment, I am going to set year-long "goals." I stopped having goals sometime after high school and I don't think that my slacker mentality is really serving me all that well anymore. It's time to get serious and be a grownup. So far, my goals for 2007 are:

1.) Be promoted to manager in my job. It's time. I'm a smart girl and I've been at the marketing/communications work for a while. In fact, it's slightly embarrassing that I am a mere "senior associate."

Once this goal has been attained, I can then...

2.) Move into a "grownup" apartment. By this I mean, one that I do not share with four other people, where I can use my good plates and my heirloom silver; that perhaps even has a piece or two or nice (non-Ikea) furniture. Even if it's just one room.


3.) Diversify my social circle and spend more times with the friends I have who I tend to neglect. Realizing that my current social life is making me miserable for various reasons, I need to branch out. Making friends is hard, but it's time to expand the social horizons a bit. It's funny what with everyone settling down into marriage and long-term relationships that my primary concern is making friends, but that's how I'm rolling these days. Sure, a boyfriend might be nice, but not so that I can spend all my spare time with him. I did that a few years ago and had no social life to show for it when we (inevitably) broke up. So, yeah. More friends.

4.) Drink less. Perhaps not drink with less frequency, but drink less when drinking. Fewer shots. Less cheap whisky. Fewer hangovers.


I think that's it. Those seem like nice sensible goals to me, don'tcha agree?

10 Comments:

Blogger EclecticBlue said...

Good goals, HP. I've lived alone for 8.5 years now. Of course, I'm about to give that up to dwell with BF, but it's been great having space to share with nobody other than my cats. And they aren't nearly as annoying as real roommates.

Ditto on "down with resolutions" ... we'll have the inevitable gym rush starting and ending soon. Meanwhile, I look forward to big attendance numbers in my classes. Until February, anyway.

8:46 PM  
Blogger Frankly, Scarlett said...

Damn - and just when I was getting used to the whiskey shots!

:) as for the others - particularly amature night plans...lets discuss!

8:58 PM  
Blogger Frankly, Scarlett said...

Damn - and just when I was getting used to the whiskey shots!

:) as for the others - particularly amature night plans...lets discuss!

9:04 PM  
Blogger Jen said...

It definitely seems like a really good start to a new year. Goals definitely sounds better than resolutions. I always resolve to do this and that, all of these things flying out the window around the 10th.

10:05 PM  
Blogger Awkward said...

I blame my '06 resolution to run a marathon as the primary reason for my ankle break, so i aggree, simple goals are better. Except that drink less one, don't drink less, just drink better quality. ;)

10:05 PM  
Blogger Lickety Split said...

smaller achievable goals will do wonders for the self-esteem...

11:30 PM  
Blogger Ryane said...

Agreed with all other commentors..those are great goals. Esp the one to make more friends. It is hard to make friends...but good ones are worth the effort.

And I especially agree w/the comment about drinking better quality alcohol=fewer hangovers. (at least in theory--haha!)

1:38 PM  
Blogger Kristin said...

NYE does kind of suck, doesn't it? But I like your goals. You make me want to figure what I want to do in 2007, if not the rest of my life.

4:57 PM  
Blogger Blogger Namely said...

Turn those goals into affirmations. Repeat them every day in the present tense and be as specific as possible. I'm telling you, you'll be stunned by the results. I started doing positive affirmations about 6 months ago and they've totally changed my personal life and my business.

Sex & Moxie
http://www.moxieblog.typepad.com

10:00 PM  
Blogger nolatravelgirl said...

"Drink less. Perhaps not drink with less frequency, but drink less when drinking. Fewer shots. Less cheap whisky. Fewer hangovers."

Concentrate on drinking great wines and enjoying each sip. If you must chug something make it water since it is good for your skin. ;-)

12:06 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home