hey pretty

Ceci n'est pas une "dating blog."

Tuesday, December 12, 2006

How Would You Spend It?

I have recently been fortunate in that I have come into a small amount of wealth. Nothing major mind you. I won't be purchasing a condo or a boat or even a new pair of winter boots (desperately needed, btw) any time soon. No, instead I have amassed a nice little quantity of iTunes gift cards. This is exciting, as I love music. Unfortunately, I am always a step behind everyone else in identifying the interesting new bands to listen to.

My taste is as eclectic as any other typical music appreciator's. I enjoy classic rock (Elvis; Beach Boys during their Pet Sounds era; Rolling Stones; Pink Floyd; the Beatles), Jazz (Miles Davis; Oscar Peterson; the Dizz; Chet Baker; Coleman Hawkins; Theolious Monk), Glam/New Wave/Punk/80's (Blondie; the Ramones; Talking Heads; David Bowie; the Cure) Brit Pop (My Bloody Valentine; Blur; Stone Roses and all those groups that sound just like them); Indie (the Shins; The Wrens; Spoon; Camera Obscura; Ted Leo etc); Pop Alternative (The Strokes; Franz F; the Killers; Snow Patrol in VERY small doses); Chick Music (Ani; Liz; Sarah M); Alt Country (Neko; Lucinda; Ryan Adams; Wilco); Old School Country (Willie, Dollie, Patsy) and of course, all the music I learned to like in college when surrounded by music snobs (Slint; Sonic Youth; Tortious; anything else somehow associated with Steve Albini). For some reason though, it simply never occurs to me to read music publications or websites, so I never know what new bands are out there that I might like, or what already established acts have a new album out. I feel constantly and hopelessly behind the new music curve.

So today I am going to throw a hypothetical out there. Let's say you had taste in music similar to mine, what three albums would you buy? I should note that last night I purchased an album by Calfone (their newest) and the new Decemberists. I am also considering the Hold Steady, the Racontuers, and now that Jason reminded me of them, Dismemberment Plan (I have one album and like it but always seem to forget about it). I already nixed Joanna Newsom, Snow Patrol and Bloc Party, and I seriously cannot get into Clap Your Hands Say Yeah. Suffice to say, I like tunes that rock, and I'm especially digging those that have a slight Bluegrass twang. But even that's not even a requirement.

What say you?

Ps: Sorry for the rampant punctuation errors. Yes, I am aware of my semi-colon misusage. I just don't care enough about language machanics today to go back and self-edit.

Update! Okay, so in addition to Califone (not Calfone) and the Decemberists, I have downloaded The Hold Steady and the Raconteurs. In fact, they're downloading as I type this. I still have some credits left, so I'll reassess tomorrow. EJ, Old Crowe is sounding really good. And yes, we did discuss this at Townhouse a couple weeks ago. Your suggestions are still under advisement. Ray L, I already own, but it was a great suggestions. I also just realized there's a Wren's that *gasp* I do not own. Thumbs up/down? And finally, Musical Guru--I burned all four disks of Nuggets for my mom for Christmas. Thanks again for burning that for me.

11 Comments:

Blogger recovering overachiever said...

I don't think I can come up with three, but one I highly recommend is The Hush Sound. You can listen to clips from their album here: http://myspace.com/thehushsound
I haven't gotten around to buying the CD myself, but I love their music and the combination of both female and male vocals.
I'm so jealous of all the iTunes gift cards. There are so many CDs I'm dying to buy!

7:13 PM  
Blogger Jason said...

Definitely need to shore up your D Plan collection as a DC resident. Emergency & I and Change are requisite.

Alligator by The National and the new The Hold Steady are also must-haves for any aspiring scenester.

7:32 PM  
Blogger Carrie M said...

Lonelyland by Bob Schneider - it's from 2001 but it's by far his best studio album.

The Galaxy Kings - self titled. It's another one of Bob's side projects, it's a bit jazzy, some funky songs. Good stuff.

I'm not sure of a third...although I could suggest another Bob album. ;-)

Nice to meet you on Friday!

7:45 PM  
Blogger MJW said...

If you don't buy the Hold Steady album, it will serve as proof that you hate America and love Osama bin Laden. Also the new Andrew Hill album, Time Lines. That's new jazz, that last one.

Do you have Nowhere by The Ride?

8:30 PM  
Blogger Eric said...

Hmmm, Based on your stated musical preferences I would have to suggest the new Justin Timberlake, perhaps maybe Fergie, and the new Gwen Stefani. They should all be right up your alley.

(for real though the Racontuers is pretty awesome, I'd go with that)

8:37 PM  
Blogger 123Valerie said...

Right on! Believe it or not, you're totally in tune with the heavens.

Venus, the planet of love and material needs (i.e. stuff and things), just moved into Capricorn, the sign of success and monetary wealth.

This planetary conjuction typically brings about a windfall of found, discretionary money.

My bank just refunded me $15 for no reason at all. I'm at the point in my life where $15 is a lot of money, so I suppose it's all relative. enjoy!

Oh! and Ray Lamontagne--start with Trouble, first. It's very soulfoul.

9:23 PM  
Blogger EJ Takes Life said...

Did we have this conversation after a whole lot of alcohol a few Fridays ago? I feel like we did. I'm pretty sure I forgot to mention Old Crow Medicine Show for the country/bluegrass flavor, Rabbit Fur Coat if you don't already have it and Nizlopi for a dash of Gentle Indie Brit music. And the Raconteurs for general rocking.

I agree with you about CYHSY-- much like it was with the White Stripes, I just can't get interested in their music.

9:55 PM  
Blogger Ryane said...

All I can say is, every girl should have some Metallica in her musical collection.

;-)

5:18 PM  
Blogger dara said...

I strongy recommend Regina Spektor.

8:29 PM  
Blogger G said...

Muse, and nickel creek, for rock/pop and bluegrass respectively. Find the live versions if possible, they're more interesting.

5:53 AM  
Blogger Frankly, Scarlett said...

A small amount of money? I say you take your friends out for drinks!! (kidding)

I agree with Dara - Regina Spector OR my personal fav - Charlotte Martin or Butch Walker

3:51 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home