hey pretty

Ceci n'est pas une "dating blog."

Tuesday, December 05, 2006

Jane Austen Be Damned....

This weekend a certain truism became abundantly even more clear to HP. That is, if I say I'm not, under any circumstance, ever, ever, ever going to do something, chances are, my arm can probably be twisted into doing it. This is especially true if the twister is tall, with an excellent head of hair, a marble-smooth swimmer's bod and a stoned-out I-don't-give-a-shite-addititude.

Le sigh.

My intentions were good. In fact, I had even planned on taking a stand. As in, no you can't simply expect me to roll over whenever you want me to, I have some power in this arrangement as well, and I intend on exercising it. But let's be honest here. A reaction of that magnitude (no way, am I going home with him, if he thinks I am he has something else coming for him, it's my way or the highway, etc) is usually ignited by something strong, emotional or otherwise. In this case it was the otherwise. A very persuasive otherwise, to be sure. Why is it that the best chemistry can often be had with people we otherwise (as in, when the sun is up and we're wearing clothing) have little interest in? And why is it always so damned worth it?

In other news, I finished Lunar Park. The last hundred pages breezed by in no time. In fact, I barely noticed that I was on the last page until I got to the end and had to re-read the last paragraph to grasp the narrative's conclusion. Honestly, my lust for the novel cooled to a warm fondness as the chapters went by. However novel its original conceits--self reference, Ellis' ironic take on his own infamy--the plot itself was not quite compelling enough to stand on its own merits. And the ending was a bit abrupt and unsatisfying. But in the end, I'm glad I read it and would still recommend it to anyone considering it's worth as a temporary diversion.

On to The Washington Story...

6 Comments:

Blogger 123Valerie said...

Hi, I found you through Candy Sandwich.

I like you! I'll be back, if for nothing else than to compare your tales of Internet dating with mine. Eek.

Sorry it didn't work this time 'round.

8:17 PM  
Blogger Kristin said...

I tend to totally lust after men I hate. Is it any wonder I'm single at the moment? Bad track record, Kristin. Very bad track record.

If you figure out the chemistry, let me know. I could use a little edification. Or a swift kick.

9:58 PM  
Blogger EJ Takes Life said...

It is a truth universally acknowledged that the Pride and Prejudice maxim of dating is the new "he's just not that into you."

10:09 PM  
Blogger Red Photography said...

123...Welcome! If stories of dating fodder are what you crave, sadly, this is the place to be.

K...I think it's because it's impossible for a man to be both hot and have a good personality. And honestly, the personality aspect is irrelevant to what you need him for anyway.

EJ...I see a book deal somewhere in this for you!

10:47 PM  
Blogger Ryane said...

Le sigh, Indeed!! ;-)

12:57 PM  
Blogger MJW said...

I think it's because it's impossible for a man to be both hot and have a good personality.

I resent that. I resent it deeply. Can't you make it "a single man?"

Anyway, I mostly came to comment because I like the title. I hate Jane Austen. She should be damned.

5:17 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home