hey pretty

Ceci n'est pas une "dating blog."

Thursday, April 12, 2007

Bad News/Good News

The bad news is the Kurt Vonnegut has passed away. The good news is that never having read any of his books, I still have plenty of time to get to know him. I know, I know. I'm a bad person. I'm not well-read. I'm ignorant. My literary education is lacking. I've always been overwhelmed by the many Vonnegut choices I had to read, and for some reason, he was never assigned in any of the 10 million English lit and theory courses I took in college. So, perhaps one of my more Vonnegut-savvy readers can recommend a good book for me to start with.

Despite that, one of my very favorite jokes ever comes from Vonnegut. It embodies what Salon.com columnist Andrew Leonard described as V's tendency to mix "bleak pessimism with avuncular warmth.".\ Here goes.

The bad news is that the aliens have finally landed.
The good news is that they eat homeless people and pee oil.

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

Blogger M@ said...

Slaughterhouse Five

2:46 PM  
Blogger LuLu said...

Hahaha. I'll never forget when you told me that joke. You were laughing and could barely get through it. It's a great one.

4:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home