hey pretty

Ceci n'est pas une "dating blog."

Tuesday, April 10, 2007

The Problem With Demographics (At True Story)

The Scene: Last night, the den of my house. I have just walked into the room to find my roommate watching Friends re-runs. In the few minutes I sit with him, several advertisements flicker through the screen.

Me: What's up with all these online dating ads? I mean, what does that say about the people who watch Friends re-runs?

Roommate: It's just a demographic thing.

Me: So people who watch Friends re-runs are apparently single and have a hard time finding a date? Oh, zing! That's me.

Roommate looks at me nervously.

Roommate: Uh, I don't think they mean you. Um, other people who watch the show. That's who the ads are for.

A Weight Watchers ad comes on.

Me: Oh, so apparently not only are we single and unable to find dates, we are that way because we're fat! I'm not taking any more of this. I'm eating my dinner in the other room.

Roommate: I am never watching TV with you ever again.

5 Comments:

Blogger M@ said...

I cannot judge. I have been watching too many episodes of Scrubs.

2:41 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ha! Hilarious.

I think it's funny when I'm watching X-Files reruns on the Sci-Fi channel and there are all these eHarmony ads targeted towards men. Like a guy on a date with a crazy lady and the VO: "Tired of Bad Dates?"

3:57 PM  
Blogger Ally said...

This post made me laugh. Excellent observation. I always mute the television during commercials or flip the channel, so I've been missing out on the marketers targeting my demographic.

5:40 PM  
Blogger Ryane said...

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA. I have often thought this myself. Maybe b/c my job involves gathering huge amounts of demographical data, I dunno...To me, the worst show for demographical commercials is What Not to Wear. The target demo for that show (if one were to follow the commercials) is, apparently, a completely unhappy, over-weight woman w/a yeast problem and ugly shoes. So ridiculous...

12:04 PM  
Blogger Belle said...

This is why I love my DVR... :)

8:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home