hey pretty

Ceci n'est pas une "dating blog."

Monday, November 27, 2006

Most Exciting Blog Entry Ever!

Ha, ha. Made you look. But being the day after a holiday stretch, I decided it was time to pay a little attention to Ms. HP.

Break was good. I stayed here in town. I am allergic to the very notion of traveling for Thanksgiving--too much traffic and commotion. So I exercised my right to stay put. I spent Turkey Day with friends, at an "orphans" Thanksgiving Dinner complete with a ton of food and even more booze. On Friday, several of us decided it would be wise to start drinking at 3:00 pm, and thus Saturday was spent recovering from that. As much of my crew is younger and thus, more resilient than I, I spent Saturday night watching them reprise Friday while I nursed a ginger ale and moaned about my rapidly advancing age. I was simply exhausted. So much so that when a very odd boy starting talking to me, I lacked the energy to get up and move. You know those people you meet when out and you can't decide if they're weird in a funny and alluring way, or weird in a scary or at the very least annoying way? That's basically what this dude is. I was personally somewhat delighted to be chatting with him, but I know for a fact that my friends don't like him. But since I am no longer in the 8th grade, I should make decisions about people based on my own intuition and experience, rather than what my friends think, right? Moreover, my friends have rather large, exuberant personalities, and I find that people with those sorts of dispositions sometimes misjudge those of us who are less extroverted or well socialized. But then again, I have a tendency to give strangers too much credit for being cool, and find out the hard way that they're not worth getting into it with. But then again, it's not as if I'm perfect either. But I did give the potential weirdo my email address and am now trying to figure out what to do with him.

On the way to the ATM to find cash for a cab home from the Hill I spotted my Republican bartender ex-paramour and had a delightfully mature exchange with him that did not result in tears, regret, or any other form of emotional trauma on my part. Hooray for distance. Apparently, he scored an office job advancing all sorts of issues I disagree with. But regardless of politics, I'm proud of him. It's nice when you see good things happen to somebody who was once a prominent fixture in your life, if only for a little while.

Sunday was all about the productivity for HP because I realized it was the last day of break, and I felt compelled to feel like I did something besides eat and drink. I mosied down to Dupont Circle where, after visiting four stores, did not find any suitable winter boots. From there I bought books: The Washington Story by Adam Langer (follow up to his novel Crossing California) and Lunar Park by Brett Easton Ellis. I was so excited about both that I had a hard time choosing which one to dive into first. I picked the later. Easton Ellis has been one of my favorite authors since I read the Rules of Attraction and heavily identified with its themes of lost youth wasting time and getting wasted at a rural elite liberal arts college. In Lunar Park, Easton places the persona he adopted/was bequeathed with during the 80's and 90's as a cultural zeitgeist/pop culture bad boy in the center of the narrative. It's Easton Ellis writing about Easton Ellis. That's as far as I've gotten but I read fast so I'll be able to provide an update in a few days.

Finally, I saw the movie Fur: An Imaginative Portrait of Diane Arbus. And since I wasted two hours of my life watching it, you don't have to. All hail HP. Aside from my fascination with Arbus, I must admit that a large part of my motivation for seeing this film was to drool over Robert Downey Jr, my movie star boyfriend. Alas, his entire body is covered with hair throughout most of the film, making him resemble a Yeti, totally diminishing his beauty and thus ruining my experience of the movie. I also had a hard time buying Nicole Kidman as Diane Arbus. Where Kidman is ethereal and a bit wispy, Arbus was said to have been more earthy and dark. As much as I understand the studio's apparent motivation to hire a well known actress to carry the film, I couldn't help but wish they had been a bit gustier in their casting. Who else, I don't know. But somebody.

And finally tonight I am getting a haircut. The folks at Andre C were nice enough to book my last minute. As I have a somewhat love-hate with that place (great cuts, horrid service) I'm sure I will have an adventure to report about that tomorrow.

5 Comments:

Blogger Kristin said...

Looking forward to the book reviews and am amazingly frightened (as always) by the similarities in our lives. Or plans.

10:18 PM  
Blogger Lickety Split said...

I liked junior in "Only You"...oh wait, that was because Marisa Tomei (top of my list...) was in it.

I hear you about feeling good for someone who was once a fixture in your life. Happening to me now and I can't help but feel proud of her...even though it means I will see less of her.

10:25 PM  
Blogger Ryane said...

I wondered about that movie, "Fur". Thanks for taking one for the team, HP! Now I will wait for DVD...as for boots--have you tried zappos.com?? Also--Macy's at Metro Center had a ton of great boots when I was there last week...

1:00 PM  
Blogger Eric said...

I watched Less Than Zero a few weeks ago for the first time in forever, I'm not really sure why but I love that movie.

5:09 PM  
Blogger Jason said...

How closley did your collegiate experience relate to that of Ellis' in Rules of Attraction? I really enjoyed that book but it was a lot like watching a trainwreck. I couldn't stop reading because I had to see how far down the hole these people fell.

5:43 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home