hey pretty

Ceci n'est pas une "dating blog."

Wednesday, November 01, 2006

Get Your Drinks On

Let's say you're planning on having some people over. You're estimating a guest list of 30, give or take. The majority of your friends are heavy drinkers. How much alcohol do you buy? You can count on some people bringing beer, and if you're lucky, a bottle or two of the hard stuff. You know that not everyone likes beer, so you should get some wine just in case. You also know that people lurve jello shots, especially around 1:00 am after many beers so you know you should procure a bottle of cheap-o vodka for that endeavor. How much beer do you buy?

Right now I am vacillating. I don't want to be stuck with a warm keg the next morning so I am leaning away from buying a whole one. I know that a full keg serves 164 12 ounce beers, so a half keg serves about 82. Should I get a half keg of something decent and some cases to make up the difference? If so, how many? Is 5 cases of beer (assorted cheap ass varieties) plus one half keg, plus three bottles of wine sufficient? I'd hate to be the lame-ass host who runs out at midnight.

What would you do?

2 Comments:

Blogger Ryane said...

To me, that sounds like a good amount of alcohol. Are you going to have any food? Also, you could have some non-alcoholic beverages for those in-between moments or DD's...that will save on alcohol.

I would probably hit Trader Joe's and invest in a few more bottles of wine--the $3 wine is not bad and it will go far. Also, have you looked on epicurious? That site has a neat feature that will help you estimate how much alcohol you will need...

1:52 AM  
Blogger nolatravelgirl said...

I would veto the keg in favor of can/bottle beer. I hate having to deal with a keg. It always seems to make a mess. Ryane has a good idea with the Trader Joe's wine. It will go a long way.

8:20 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home