hey pretty

Ceci n'est pas une "dating blog."

Monday, October 23, 2006

A Somewhat Boring Post In Which I Solicit Your Advice

So I'm having a party. The occasion? Ushering out the second decade of my stay here on planet earth, and welcoming the third. The title of the Evite was "farewell my sweet 20s" and I chose a template with a hot air balloon and the words Bon Voyage above it. As you may recall, I spent some time a few months ago on this blog wondering how I should celebrate this momentous birthday. Many of you offered some excellent suggestions such as taking a trip, but ultimately I decided that I would simply throw myself a party. My logic was this: as you go about your life, you amass friends and acquaintances. What better way to observe my 30th than to invite a bunch of friends and friends of friends over so that everyone can mingle,eat good food, get a little tipsy and basically chill?

As I said, the Evite has gone out and the attendance numbers look promising. Some friends from college who I haven't seen in years might also be coming. And now I am starting to think about logistics. My primary preoccupation right now is decorations. I don't want to get too crazy here but some details here and there to spruce up my shabby group house interior are definitely in order, but what? I suck at party decorations, which is ironic because I'm good at regular decorating. I want to set a mood and that's what decorating is all about. Chill, sophisticated, not a frat house. But what I have to work with is a little depressing. Futon in the living room. Mismatched chairs. 70's lamps. Yucky old carpet. I know I can dim the lights and that will do a world of good. Moreover, I'm due to have several photographs of mine returned that I had hanging in an art show that was up far longer than anyone expected so those may also help. But I still need suggestions. Does anyone know of a website that offers interesting festive decorating ideas?

Secondly, I am thinking about food. I haven't promised anyone a full spread or anything, but I happen to appreciate it very much when people offer stuff to nibble on when I am drinking at their house. It's simply good hospitality. But I don't want to spend a fortune either. The whole dip with bread or chips or veggies; cheese; pigs in a blanket are obvious ones. I also make this awesome pesto and white bean dip but I have stopped serving it at parties because it looks utterly unappetizing (tastes amazing though--you should try it). I was also thinking that maybe I'd pick up some pizza at Vace (Italian market in Cleveland Park) and quietly bring those out around midnight or so when people will be starting to need a little something in their tummies. Any other suggestions?

Wardrobe I am actually not stressing about too much. Since I only own one or two truly interesting "going out" outfits, getting dressed will be a breeze. Finally a plus to having limited wardrobe options.

And in other birthday related news, I bought myself a present. And now, I will eat Ramen for the rest of the month to make up for it.

4 Comments:

Blogger Frankly, Scarlett said...

LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE the "happy-birthday-to-me" gift!!

decorations: have you tried oriental trading co?

3:39 PM  
Blogger recovering overachiever said...

Congrats on the birthday.
I think low-key decorations work best. Maybe some photos of you through the years.
As for food, Mexican layer dip is always a hit, as well as guacamole. Another good one are the desserts. Cookies, brownies, etc.
And don't worry to much about the details. Your friends are there to see you!

3:44 PM  
Blogger Lickety Split said...

I second what RO said. They are there to see you. Great shades BTW!!!

I think at the risk of fire, candles would be good but it depends on how subdued you want it.

I am not good with party food, since my basic party foods are cheese doodles and tortilla chips (I have kids...) but the nice thing about RO's food suggestions is that they are both inexpensive and can easily be made for large groups.

For some reason I always find that having some starch is good to soak up the alcohol...like breads, pasta salad or something..

Fruits and vegetables, depending on how fresh, ALWAYS get a good response due to varied tastes and textures. Those can be a little more expensive this time of year.


It's your party...what about YOUR favorite foods? I don't know how much this helps but I tried =)

8:26 PM  
Blogger minijonb said...

About the only suggestion I have on party food is to avoid fondue at all costs!

Other than that, have a great party.

9:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home