hey pretty

Ceci n'est pas une "dating blog."

Tuesday, October 24, 2006

Jury of His Peers

As I deal with the latest round of boy frustrations, I am learning to be grateful for one thing: my jury of 20-and 30-something men who I am coming to rely on for advice, wisdom and the occasional reality check. Of course I adore my girls, that goes without saying. My girls can always be counted on for pithy comments and insights ranging from validating quips like "boys suck" to actual, practical advice. But there is something to be said for my menagerie of male friends. The concept of "just friends" can be a complicated one to wrap one's mind around, especially when the people you are attempting to be so with you may have had certain romantic feelings for, or entanglements with in the past. But sometimes it can work out, and when it does, their support can be invaluable.

Of course it's ironic to receive insights from such characters when in the past you have had first-hand experience with their imperfect boy-ness. But at least you can be sure they know of what they speak, oui? And when it comes to overanalyzing perplexing male behavior, isn't it only fair that such behavior be examined by a jury of the offender's peers? After all, they're the true experts. It's also kinda cool to know although the doors to one form of intimacy may close, opportunities for another kind abound if you nurture them correctly.

So to any single women attempting to navigate the treacherous paths of dating in the present day, I say to you this: amass for yourself a collection of platonic male friends. You will not regret it.

6 Comments:

Blogger WhimWham said...

Hello...Just stopped by your blog. Loved it.

12:27 PM  
Blogger MJW said...

Uh-oh...am I a member of your jury? I fear I've not been very good at being helpful, if so....I didn't want to give unsolicited advice. But I will if you want.

But then again, we have no romantic history. Does that mean I'm unqualified?

1:20 PM  
Blogger Lickety Split said...

Out-STANDING post HP. LThe reverse is also true. The trick is the truly "platonic" part...but that's a whole post in and of itself.

2:38 PM  
Blogger Red Photography said...

A: Welcome! Glad you like it.

MW: The Jury is a fluid thing. It's members come and go. As you're getting married in T minus 3 days and counting, I think you have larger concerns.

LS: Thanks. I know you've taken my use of "planonic" to task before but in this case they actually are just that. Even if they didn't use to be.

2:44 PM  
Blogger Awkward said...

I agree, platonic male friends are the best. And past romantic entanglements just give them a better perspective...

5:20 PM  
Blogger Ryane said...

Male friends Are tricky, but Pretty--you are correct. Having a few around is worth it's weight in gold...

1:43 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home