hey pretty

Ceci n'est pas une "dating blog."

Monday, October 23, 2006

A Note About RSVPs

I'm not going to profess to being the world's most polite person or anything, lord knows I have my fair share of rude character traits (blurting out inappropriate comments; spacing out when other people are talking; smoking; borrowing my roommate's cooking spray when I should have bought my own) but there is one thing that I am religious about in regards to etiquette and that is responding to a social invitation, especially one extended through an Evite. As you all know, Evite gives the recipient three possible responses: yes, maybe and no. One would think that they would cover the entire spectrum of possible responses as those are generally what people are in regards to availability. And yet, the number of people who can't be bothered to commit to any of these three choices astounds and appalls me. It is so fraking rude, I cannot get over it. If somebody is nice enough to invite you to something, you should be polite enough to acknowledge this gesture. I understand that people don't want to commit, especially in this age of total social flakiness and last-minute plans making. Whatever. But that's why the gods of Evite provided you with the convenient and concise "maybe" option. I know that some people regard a "maybe" as a "if I don't have something better to do and my hair is too clean to wash that night" but actually, I think it means just what it says--"I don't know, perhaps, perhaps not." No rocket science to that, is there? You can always go back and change your response should you have a change of heart and have the sudden urge to commit.

Moreover, many people seem unaware that on the host's version of the Evite it is possible to see who has viewed it but not responded. Yes, in case you were unaware of that you are officially BUSTED, my friend. So, those Evites you've received, opened and not responded to? Chances are there was an annoyed host sitting out there somewhere being all "I KNOW that so-and-so read the damn Evite. Why the frak won't they respond?"

Hosts appreciate RSVPs not because they are anal retentive, but because if you're having a party it's nice to be able to know how much alcohol and food to buy. Should I expect 10 people or 50? Do I buy bottles of beer or a keg? How many pizzas should I get? It's about logistics, my friends. Not that any of my dear sweet readers are ever guilty of this...

4 Comments:

Blogger Lickety Split said...

HP, that is one of my BIGGEST peeves. I too am very prompt about letting people know exactly what my likelihood of attending said function.

I got Evited to my brother-in-law's birthday bash and the thank you was a form emailing from the wife that obviously wasn't personalized in anyway. Considering I bought him I frakin' (love that...) iPod shuffle...I'd think at least an acknowledgement that he got the gift would be nice.

Now I know YOU are far too classy not to thank everyone individually....

I hear you girl!

11:09 PM  
Blogger E :) said...

TOTALLY RIGHT!

I hate it when people ignore your invites. It's soooo rude!

4:25 AM  
Blogger Frankly, Scarlett said...

Red franticly runs to her email - and checks the Evite to see if she's responded......Whew - sigh of relief .....she did.

No need to fear the wrath that is HP!

2:14 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Failing to execute a reply is a corrupt, selfish act. Probably a pretty common occurance in DC. Sorry for the difficulties.

8:20 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home