hey pretty

Ceci n'est pas une "dating blog."

Wednesday, October 04, 2006

A So-Called 'Sad Cliché' We Need to Put To Rest

I do not understand the overall sentiment that single women who live alone and own a cat is in some way sad. Actually, the idea of having a cozy little apartment that I get to decorate all by myself and that I am financially savvy enough to afford sounds pretty empowered to me. I think we should propose a holiday. Something along the lines of "Yay! I get to live alone in this fab apartment, pay for it by myself and live independly while calling my own shots day." Plus, some people just happen to like cats. Why is it that they're deemed pathetic by society but dog owners aren't?

I would like to note here that I drafted a much longer, rantier version of this post and deleted most of it. I'm having that kind of day at work again. That is what happens when you're on version three of the fact sheet you're drafting and your manager is too checked out to offer substantial guidance on the project.

Fact of the Day: 1 Shot of Jager has 103 calories and 11 grams of carbs.

8 Comments:

Blogger Lickety Split said...

Personally I find your life fascinating (not sad)and I think you got the stereotype incorrect.

It's grey-haired women with multiple (like 20 or more) cats...

wink wink

6:07 PM  
Blogger Boutros said...

Hey, I live alone with TWO cats. (SPCA guilts you big time if you adopt a singleton kitten). I concur with the holiday. How about tomorrow?

6:29 PM  
Blogger Ryane said...

haha--I completely agree with you...in fact, I think it needs to be the kind of special day where all of our married friends buy us a gift. You know, in a bridal/wedding/house warming/baby shower kinda way...

I would even agree to being completely unoriginal and registering at Manolo Blahnik, just like Carrie Bradshaw. ;-)

6:34 PM  
Blogger MJW said...

I'm pretty sure that you don't count as pathetic unless you have a LOT of cats. My mother, for example, has been happily married and in a house for going on three decades...but she's also got something like five cats.

And I think single women, or men, who live alone are great. I can't remember ever feeling more empowered, in every since of the word, than the first time I woke up in my own place, with all my own stuff, and said, "My God, this is my life!"

That said, if you're going to have a holiday for single people, can you please hold it within the next, say, 24 days.

8:19 PM  
Blogger Frankly, Scarlett said...

HELL YA! Let's pick the day and CELEBRATE!

Mayve have it INSTEAD of Valentines Day!

9:08 PM  
Blogger Lickety Split said...

If you were SOOOOOO pathetic, I wouldn't LOOOOOOOOOOOVE to read you as much as I do and I certainly wouldn't have tons of shout outs to you in my own blog.

2:41 PM  
Blogger Red Photography said...

I would like to note here that I wasn't talking about myself when referring to the whole single woman, lives alone, cat thing. I actually live with four other people, sans pets. But I try not to blog about that specifically anymore because certain issues hit a bit close to home. Anyway. I do not find myself pathetic, I was just objecting to stereotyping a particular cultural construct. But thank you nonetheless.

2:54 PM  
Blogger Jason said...

It is because dogs are often attributed with congenial personalities whereas cats, behaviorally speaking, are strange and evil.

But I do agree that pet ownership should never be used to assess one's character unless of course said pet is either a snake or a tarantula...all bets are off at that point.

5:36 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home