hey pretty

Ceci n'est pas une "dating blog."

Thursday, September 14, 2006

Coming Out to Play, Or Not

Tomorrow is the blogger happy hour, as anyone who follows DC Blogs is apt to know. To be honest, I have mixed feelings about it. I've been at this blogging game for a while now. Hey Pretty began in 2004 and before that I maintained another blog entitled Debt Girl about my not so enthralling attempts to better manage my personal finances, and even before that I started and abandoned a couple of other well meaning yet ultimately dead-ended blogging endeavors. All this is to say that I am hardly new to the game. But I am to the DC blogging community, and to be honest, I find it slightly intimidating. I mean, so many people simply seem to already know one another. When I hear about these happy hours, they seem like a great opportunity to meet new people, but in reality they always feel like a party of old friends that's already weathered a number of private and public storms. Okay, to be fair, I've only attended one. And the presence of the News 4 TV crew probably didn't help people feel enthusiastic about mingling with newbies. And to my detriment, I tend to be highly shy around strangers. It takes me a long time to be comfortable with new people, and in some cases I never do. On HP I can be as outspoken, obnoxious, or candid as I please because I have a curtain of words to hide behind. But in person it's me, and that's a bit harder. Sure, I've met others of you in other contexts. EJ for instance, has been wonderful about introducing me to her blogger friends. Candy Sandwich, I met by purely by fate one awful night that I'd rather forget for a myriad of reasons (not having anything to do with CS). And there are others as well whose friendships pre-existed HP, who I consider more to be real life friends. But then there are the people who I have never met, but who I have forged a camaraderie with through cross-commenting and about whom, I have grown more intrigued.

All this is to say that I may or may not wuss out when it comes to attending tomorrow's shin dig. Perhaps the work happy hour I have will fortify me with liquid courage and I'll feel braver about making small talk with strangers. Or maybe I'll show up and leave shortly after a non-blogger friend texts message me that they're going to the Pour House (tomorrow being Friday there's an 80% chance that will happen). Or maybe I'll simply go home and catch up on my Netflix until Sailor calls to inquire about what I am doing. It's impossible to know. But if there are others of you out there who blog in DC, who feel ambivalent about the prospect of hanging out in a room full of your blogging cohorts, please know that you are not alone.

10 Comments:

Blogger I-66 said...

[ahem]

Should I even chime in here? :)

10:34 PM  
Blogger Kathryn Is So Over said...

Remember that night when I ran into you at Toledo, called you out, called you over to my table, and introduced you to the two other bloggers with me? And we were all super drunk?

I think that counts as knowing each other. Hope to see you tomorrow night. :)

12:14 AM  
Blogger EJ Takes Life said...

Believe it or not, I share a lot of your concerns about the DC blogger scene (and oh, how I wince at even referencing "the DC blogger scene"). The trick is to hang out with the ones who you'd actually enjoy hanging out with even if we weren't bloggers.

Oh, and booze always helps too. Hope you make it tomorrow!

1:07 AM  
Blogger Frankly, Scarlett said...

Well I WOULD be there - but have a prior obligation...I would be nervous too though.

Hope I run into you out sometime though as I think you're uber fabulous!

3:31 AM  
Blogger Kristin said...

I'll be at happy hour with a couple of non-blogging friends; though, technically, they do contribute to Candy Sandwich once in a while. I've got some blogging friends but the big blogger bash isn't my scene. It's too far from the Hill.

And I'm glad we met that night, even if it wasn't a particularly good night for you...

4:07 AM  
Blogger Ryane said...

hey pretty--I agree with you on feeling slightly ambivalent about attending. I get very shy around strangers too! If I didn't have to work tonight, I would probably be in the same boat as you: should I or should't I?

Whatever the outcome--Happy hour, DVD, Sailor or all of the above..have fun.

12:38 PM  
Blogger Red Photography said...

1.) Well gosh, if I-66 is going, of course I will!

2.) K, oh man, do I ever remember that night. Yes, that was entertaining.

3.) EJ--true dat.

4.) Red--Boo! I was secretly hoping you'd be there.

5.)CS-- Me too.

6.) Ryanne--glad to see it's not just me. ambivalence is the new ambivalence, it seems.

1:47 PM  
Blogger Ar-Jew-Tino said...

hey pretty, i think i'm going even if my only two bloggger friends aren't. i'll write about it so, really, it's professional research.

Re: your comment; I try to be considerate and charitable to others for its own sake, but I plan on paying random pizza girl's gesture forward the first moment I get.

3:15 PM  
Blogger I-66 said...

Woo!

(I was outwardly hoping irish red was coming, but alas)

7:23 PM  
Blogger Frankly, Scarlett said...

awwww ....66 YOU'RE TOO SWEET!

Just promise me it won't be the last one!

11:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home