hey pretty

Ceci n'est pas une "dating blog."

Monday, October 16, 2006

I Survived Another Blogger Happy Hour (Or, Ow, My Liver)

So, ostensibly, the object of attending the blogger happy hour on Friday was to meet Ms. Irish Red, who I had forged a friendship with via our respective comment sections, and who the time had come to finally meet. Mission accomplished, dear readers. Ms. IR proved to be a worthy partner in crime for the evening's proceedings. We hit it off immediately, and spent much of the evening enveloped in a haze of cigarette smoke and laughter, trading girlish confessions and marveling at the scene around us. As I have mentioned many times before, these events intimidate the hell out of me. But I managed to shake off my ambivalence and party it up with the rest of the cool kids. Highlights included meeting Kassy K, Virgil Kent (thanks for the whisky, by the way. note to self: next time say beer when a boy offers you a drink), Red, The View From Dupont, Arjewtino, Nicolasix, V, Good at Drinking, Velvet, and countless others. Also caught up with I-66 and E (what is it about Australia? Does it just breed gorgeous people?). Later, more drinking occurred. Liver still mad at me but it should be used to this shit by now.

Saturday, similar scene, different players. Note to the Cap Lounge: Dear Cap Lounge, You know I love you, and you know I am trying to get over my ambivalence about visiting you, in light of all that stuff that went down last spring, but we seriously need to discuss the matter of how weak your vodka and tonics are. Listen, I know that considering all the alcohol I ingested on Friday, maybe I didn't need any more, and it was certainly my plan to take it slow on Saturday. But if my friends and I are going to spend 9 dollars a pop on Grey Goose and tonics, we'd at least like to get a little tipsy in return. So let's work on that issue, shall we? Thanks.

Sunday, we had playoffs for kickball (yes, I am a dork, what of it?). Despite having an awesome season and winning way more games than we normally do, we weren't able to pull it out yesterday. In fact, we were slaughtered by a team that we beat in the regular season, and that was even with Sailor acting as our ref. Later, Sailor taught me how to play Backgammon, my new favorite game.

Speaking of Sailor...Some not great stuff is happening in his family, which I won't get into out of respect for his privacy. However, watching him act as the rock of his family (getting details in line, making phone calls, ensuring that the right players would be at a certain place at a certain time) was a marvel to behold. Stoic as always, he acted as if what was happening wasn't a big deal. He simply sprung to action. It's always weird when you haven't been dating somebody very long and something serious happens to them. What is your appropriate role in the situation? Do you go home to give them their space to work it out? Do you stay? I stayed. It just seemed like as the person everyone was counting on to be strong, he might want to know that somebody was there to support him even if he didn't want to talk about it (which he didn't of course, and I let him know that he didn't have to). So I just let my presence be known, and held his hand as he fell asleep after finally climbing into bed around 1:30 am.

7 Comments:

Blogger Lickety Split said...

HP, I am so jealous of you DC bloggers. Would loved to have met all of you. Kudos to you for sticking around to lend support to Sailor. Good move, chica.

9:39 PM  
Blogger Ar-Jew-Tino said...

Next blogger happy hour: we're playing backgammon.

9:46 PM  
Blogger Frankly, Scarlett said...

HEHEHE - Can I get a T-Shirt that says, "Partner in Crime"??

OOOO and OOWWW we had fun! Ode to HP is coming up!

Poor Sailor. :-(

Hugs,
Red

9:57 PM  
Blogger Kristin said...

Glad to hear/read that you had fun at the happy hour. Sounds like a good weekend except for the whole bad things happening in Sailor's life thing. Poor guy.

11:06 PM  
Blogger Ryane said...

Sometimes what you don't say in those situations count just as much as what you do say...what a great choice, to stay w/him and hold his hand.


I am sure that your liver forgives you. I hear they are very kind like that.
;-)

12:06 PM  
Blogger Red said...

It was great meeting you. I can't wait til the next HH.

2:18 PM  
Blogger Awkward said...

Tales of fun happy hours make me want to move back to DC. Sounds like a good time!

7:12 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home