hey pretty

Ceci n'est pas une "dating blog."

Wednesday, July 12, 2006

Old

Yikes. So last night I attended Quizzo at the Pour House, as I have practically every Tuesday for a little over a year. I attend because I love watching L yell at the Quizzo Master for the lack of questions pertaining to Saved By The Bell, watching S's eyes light up in glee when the speed round requires us to come up with a bunch of arcane sports facts, and giggling at our collective cluelessness about world geography (you'd think by now one of us would have taken it upon themselves to become a geography whiz). There used to be a time when consuming vast quantities of alcohol at Quizzo was not beyond my devices. I have heard quite a lot of clamor in recent weeks about Tuesdays being the new Thursdays, and my only response to that is "duh." My Quizzo compatriots and I have known that for quite some time. Anyway, last night I consumed a small fraction of my usual alcohol intake. But this morning. Ouch. I even drank water in between cocktails yet the dull ache behind my eyes this morning and my refusal to get out of bed were as if I had consumed gallons of whisky. I do not understand this recent backlash. It is true that over the past year or so my body has been more resistant to my debaucherousness lifestyle. I remember when I was several years younger, people in their thirties would warn me that this was about to happen, and I would laugh at them, because after all, I come from sturdy Irish stock. But alas, their prophesy has proven correct. I had also thought that because I am taking my body to the gym more often for sessions that often consist of an hour of cardio followed by weights, and that because my body is thanking me by slowly toning up and displaying more stamina, that this overall strength might also translate to increased drinking stamina. But it seems that the opposite is true. As I have said a number of times, I'm not much for science, but could it be true that the more physically fit you are, the less of a tolerance for booze you have? It doesn't make sense but perhaps its the case.

On a related note, my 30th birthday is around the corner. I'm currently accepting suggestions for kickass celebration ideas. I don't want to settle for the same old boring go-to-a-bar-and-drink solution.

7 Comments:

Blogger DCVita said...

I think your theory is correct! I am 29 and go to the gym religiously. I just came back from a weekend of debauchery in Miami with my younger girlfriends and I learned that I am definately getting old....bc I just can't hang anymore.

As for your b-day, get on Travelzoo, look for a top 20 deal, and treat yourself to a mini weekend getaway. Those spontaneous trips always end up being such a blast! You have to kick start your 30s with a bang!!

3:47 PM  
Blogger Kristin said...

Quizzo definitely left me hurting today.

I agree with the travel idea. I went to Australia for 25. NYC for 30. I'm going to Alaska for 31. Actually, maybe that's a bad thing... Am I trying to escape aging? Oh, dear. I'm going to have to think about that.

Anyway, happy almost birthday.

4:54 PM  
Blogger Red Photography said...

Yeah, traveling is always a good idea. I went to Paris and Amsterdam for my 26th.

Thanks for the birthday wishes. It isn't actually for 4 more months. I suppose "right around the corner" was a bit of an exaggeration. Still, always smart to be thinking ahead.

7:19 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It might sound a little trite, but I went skydiving for my 30th birthday. It was absolutely exhilarating.

8:18 PM  
Blogger EJ Takes Life said...

Damn, I should have stayed last night!

9:09 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

the skydiving idea sounds interesting...and four months ahead is the perfect time to start planning if you're thinking about travel.

1:37 AM  
Blogger Red Photography said...

oh anon, if only i had your guts. sadly, i am terrified of heights and not terribly fond of airplanes either. scairdy cat i am...

ej--nah, you missed very little, actually.

7:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home