hey pretty

Ceci n'est pas une "dating blog."

Tuesday, July 11, 2006

Ephemera

Recent events in the life of HP have provided further evidence to support the claim that cell phone companies need to be more proactive in developing products that do not break down and refuse to function properly when introduced to quantities of water and other liquids.

As some of you will recall, my old Samsung died after an unfortunate run-in with a drunk kickballer and a pitcher of cheap beer. It was for the best, as I was overdue for buying a new phone anyway.

However, it is totally unacceptable that the pink Razr that I purchased as a replacement not four months ago should meet a similar end when accidentally dropped into a sink full of water. Beer, I can understand. It does terrible things to your liver after all, so it makes sense that it might also disintegrate SIM cards and batteries. But water? Water is supposed to be clean and healthy and revitalizing. Not being the type to dwell over electrical matters, there is probably some technical nuance here that I am missing (scratch that, there certainly is). But it seems unfair to the legions of cell phone consumers out there that Motorola is too busy trying to place iTunes on their phones that they'd neglect something as basic as durability.

When I went to purchase the pink Razr, I unwisely laughed at the sales person who encouraged me to invest in the 5 dollars a month for phone insurance. Who's laughing now?

In other news, I heard from British boy, who expressed an interest in hanging out again. Methinks a slight crush might be developing.

4 Comments:

Blogger MJW said...

Oh, oh, oh! YOU seem to have difficulties with the combination of cellphones and liquid-holding receptacles, yet you blame the cellphone manufacturer! Shame on you.

7:19 PM  
Blogger I-66 said...

As someone who's been thrown in the pool with phone in pocket, I can say that I was glad in that moment to have paid for the insurance.

On the other hand, I've been paying the insurance for over 2 years and only used it once. As of this moment, spent > saved.

Of course you've had something happen to you twice...

7:21 PM  
Blogger Red Photography said...

Hey now--the first time was not my fault--a DIFFERENT drunk kickballer was to blame.

The second time--okay, my bad. But in my 6 years of cell phone ownership this never happened before 4 months ago.

So there (brattily sticks out tongue).

7:30 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am convinced that companies like Motorola, Samsung, Nikon, Apple, etc. are full of a lot of really smart people who spend all day sitting around consumed with evil, maniacal laughter while they light expensive cigars with $100 dollar bills. They know that they could provide the world with cheaper and more durable technology, but it just doesn’t make business sense to sell an iPod with a replaceable battery or make a cell phone that withstands a little punishment. I would kill for a job where you actually make more money by producing a flawed product.

8:27 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home