hey pretty

Ceci n'est pas une "dating blog."

Tuesday, May 23, 2006

Hey Pretty and the No Good Very Bad Day

Marcia, Marcia, Marcia. Ever just had one of those days? Yeah, me too, and I'm having one now. It started off great. I had made peace with some confusing situations that have plagued me for months, I was generally happy and satisfied with where I was, I produced some good writing for work, my hair was even behaving itself for once. And then things slowly began to unravel somewhere around 11 am. Preferential treatment for a fellow coworker who seems the eternal do-no-wrong golden boy of our team; an assignment I really don't want to do; clueless managers; annoying coworkers in the lunch room distracting me from the Times Crossword; demanding industry stakeholders. All this workplace angst is leading me to wonder the following: how does one motivate oneself in the face of discouraging forces? Yes, there's the promise of happy hour at the end of the day, the fact that there will be a pitcher of beer at whichever social engagement I select to attend tonight. There's the thought of my Wednesday plans. There's the anticipation of coming home and unwinding at whatever hour that will be and the prospect of our ritual recap-of-our days with K, which are always a pleasure. But none of those are preventing me from staring sullenly into space for the rest of the afternoon while my work goes neglected. I understand the concept of reward for determination, but the determination part isn't sinking in. How do you, dear readers, muster up the motivation to focus on your work when you're in a crummy mood?

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

just pick one little thing and focus on that. do one task that you think will take you an hour, and then promise to indulge your crummy mood for 10 minutes when you're done. only give it 10 minutes. if you get lost in the crummy mood, your whole day will be squandered. do one thing. clean your desk or something, but don't let the mood be your focus as you do it. turn on upbeat music, close your office door, and just do whatever it is you believe you can focus on for an hour. likely, once you get into it, you'll feel like you can do more. and you'll stop wallowing in the sads.

6:34 PM  
Blogger MJW said...

My motivation generally consists of the following:

"If I don't do this shit today, it'll just be that much more shit I have to do tomorrow."

Also:

"If I get this finished tonight, I can scoot out of here at a reasonable hour and see E2."

The first isn't very inspiring. The second is, but probably doesn't do you much good.

7:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home