hey pretty

Ceci n'est pas une "dating blog."

Friday, February 03, 2006

Twenty-What?

Ever since I turned 29 a few months ago I've been plagued with the typical fear that my twenty-something malaise/indefinite post-adolescence will never evolve into a more solidified and respectable form of adulthood, that I'll turn thirty feeling even more indifferent to embracing responsibility and life direction that I am now.

Two incidences today have further illustrated this uncomfortable reality. First was in a conversation with a 33 year-old co-worker who assured me that I shouldn't feel bad that he and his wife are buying their second house because he is "a decade older" than me.

Hey Pretty: But dude, I'm 29.

Co-worker: Yeah, but I feel a decade older than you.

Third Co-worker: It's just you're youthful attitude shining through.

Hey Pretty: You mean my bratty immaturity, don't you?

[end scene]

Then at lunch with co-workers we ordered a pitcher of margaritas and I was actually carded by the waiter. Yes, nothing like seeking to prove oneself capable and serious in the workplace when being accused of being nineteen by a food service employee.

Fuck all of them I say. If the world thinks I'm underage, suffice to say I'll still be considered hot when I'm forty.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

You will be uber hot at 40! :-)

7:54 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm jealous... I'm starting to get called out for being old. I wish I looked 10 years younger.

That, and I wish I was independently wealthy with a jet-set lifestyle. I'd make a sweet philanthropist.

- DS

8:46 PM  
Blogger I-66 said...

ahh this is my M.O.

I am only 25. I often get told that I look somewhere between the ages of 16 and 18. While I absolutely love it when I get carded (validates my age), I think this youthiness will serve me well when I'm 35 and finally look 25.

5:46 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I hate to be the only one carded! My boyfriend is the same age as me and he never gets carded when we go out together. Of course, he looks like he's 35 and I look like I'm 19. pah!

4:27 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home