hey pretty

Ceci n'est pas une "dating blog."

Friday, January 27, 2006

Do It For the Bees

I just discovered this blog (yes, the whole Irish thing caught my attention, we know how I'm a sucker for Irish boys) and a current post about vegetarians. It got me thinking about my own stint in the land of vegan, the details of which are for another day. But, I do want to share my all time absolute favorite instance of the extremes youngsters will go to in the name of animal rights.

At the co-op I ate in there were regular discussions about what kind of food we would serve. Would we serve refined sugar products? Organic bananas? Would we allow people to bring meat into the co-op to cook themselves? One day the subject of honey came up. If we couldn't use sugar could we use honey as a viable alternative? After all, barely malt and brown rice syrup both taste like ass. Maple syrup is hella expensive. But honey is okay, right? It's a nice color and cheap and easy to cook with. Nothing wrong with that, right? Nope. An hour long debate then ensued about the ethics of cooking with honey and how it oppresses the bumble bees. I kid you not. That, my friends, is when veganism goes too far.

3 Comments:

Blogger I-66 said...

Kate, the author of that particular blog is one of my best friends and also a former roommate. As we share a blog (DC Sports) and individually write our own personal blogs, I can say with utter certainty that you have chosen wisely your reading material.

5:15 PM  
Blogger McQueeney said...

Ughh, you well know where vegans stand with me!
Meat Boy

7:32 PM  
Blogger confusedandlost said...

YOu can read about my experiences with being vegetarian
http://coufusingmyself.blogspot.com/2005/12/being-vegetarian.html

1:24 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home