hey pretty

Ceci n'est pas une "dating blog."

Thursday, January 19, 2006

upDate

Having spent close the seven years in DC, and having been unmarried and in my twenties for all of them, I am like many women here, something of an expert on dating in this city. My experiences have been varied--serious relationships, rebound relationships, one night stands, intense relationships that combust after three weeks, being the "other woman", on-line date lunches, friends with benefits. I've never accepted rent money in return for my companionship or anything but suffice to say, I've experienced quite a bit of what DC has to offer in terms of courtship options. Regular readers know of course, that this has made me a bit cynical. I've been adamently anti-relationship for about two years now, 1.) because I simply wanted the breathing room; 2.) because until then I hadn't done much to date around. Of course, in that time I have come to be known as one of the wilder persons of my various social groups, which was okay for a time but now I'm thinking that I'd like to do away with that particular aspect of my reputation. In other words, it's time to slow down and grow up a bit. For this reason, I have been trying to be more open to the idea of dating and less quick to just hook up for the sake of short-term companionship.

So as I mentioned yesterday, I had a date. An an effort to protect this lovely boy's privacy, I won't go into much of the details. But since many of you have asked, I will say that it was quite wonderful. The set up was typical--adult beverages, a little food, dimly lit bar, hours of conversation--so many that the metro closed and I had to take a cab home, lots of "getting to know you" banter as well as more serious stuff, a moderate amount of cutesy behavior, a chaste good night kiss, and a solo cab ride home. I know, you are SO proud of me, right?

What I find interesting about this situation is that I feel like we're equals in a lot of ways. I don't feel as if I've relinquished emotional control to the other person or that I need to listen to agnsty chick music for hours on end wondering when, and in what creative way he'll flake or start acting like a total prick. I don't think I have ever felt that way after a first date before. Even my favorite relationships I've entered with my breath held, waiting for something to go wrong. It's a strange, and very grown-up sort of feeling. That alone makes the situation mildly terrifying of course. Potentially problematic is that fact that he's skinnier than I am. Sort of unsettling, right?

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

the skinnier than you thing can be weird - I know, I've been there. But if everything else is cool, no need to worry too much about it.

7:27 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home