hey pretty

Ceci n'est pas une "dating blog."

Tuesday, December 20, 2005

Blah, Blah, Boys, Blah, Blah Dating, Blah, Blah

Yup, looks like its time for another "being single in Washington, D.C." post. It's been a few weeks, we're clearly over-due.

Some thoughts.

1.) Do people in this city date anymore? It could just be me, but I feel like relations between the young and the single have taken a decided turn towards the uber-casual lately. I feel like not terribly long ago, I would meet a boy, he'd ask for my number, he'd call two days later, we'd go out for drinks, etc, etc. Lather, rinse, repeat. I won't get even go into the typical disasters that were likely to occur after that. Let's just say it wasn't pretty so I took myself out of play for a while. But now...what the fuck happened? Now, it's entirely possible that I have lost my datability, but I'm coming to be convinced that dating has fallen out of vogue in this city. Now the majority of the relations I hear about and experience fall into the "oh gosh, I didn't know you hang out at *this bar* every weekend! Walk you home? Sure, wouldn't want something bad to happen to you on that one block trip..." Most of my friends are either "in relationships" or single. I hardly know anyone who regularly dates. Probably because you'd have to be insane to put up with that bullshit. But I would be curious to hear from people who do "date" and if they actually enjoy it.

2.) This city is really fucking small. How is it that I could randomly meet a boy at a bar, go home with him, play the "I'm not that kind of girl card" (Doris Day would seriously have been proud), blow off his calls, only to learn two months later that an acquaintance met him online and is now dating him? Even worse was having to fucking avoid him at a house party this weekend. He lived in Virginia. Yet another reason to erect a barricade between D.C. and the suburbs.

3.) I finally fixed my iBook, which froze when trying to download the new iTunes. Wait, that has nothing to do with being single in D.C. Okay, but it's important nonetheless.

4.) I just learned that there are people in the world who have never used Friendster to obtain more information about the boy they met the night before whose bed they may or may not have slept in. If you are fortunate enough to remember his name, I highly recommend conducting a little Friendster background check the next morning. Yes, the service lost its excitement in 2003, but it can be handy at times. It is especially to confirm a person's singleness, and to confirm character by reading testimonials. And yes boys, women do this. So do us a favor and keep your profile up to date and interesting to read. If we're going to hate you the next morning for inviting us home when you actually have a girlfriend who lives in Witchitaw, at least have a clever profile to keep us occupied at work for five minutes.

Time to get some work done to justify the raise I received yesterday. Just think how successful I'd be if I'd actually focus on my career...

5.) One more thing regarding Friendster. I know it's mighty tempting to write testimonials for people, especially people who you just met who you have a crush on. But, let's employ a bit of foresite here. In six months will you still think this person is "cute", "witty", or that they "rock"? Are you sure? No really, this person? I'm just saying that it's not entirely impossible that one day you may regret having gone on record as having publically admitted to thinking these things about said individual. An ounce of self-restraint is worth tons of future self esteem points in the end. Don't say I didn't warn you.

6.) I thought I was done talking about Friendster. One more thing: Under the relationship status field they have added a new option called "It's Complicated." How very funny in a jaded-20-something sort of way. Easier than confronting your situation and deciding once and for all what it actually is, I suppose. Regardless, I still kind of like it.

4 Comments:

Blogger MJW said...

So wait...you're suggesting that people check out Friendster testimonials, which you also suggest they not write?

7:04 PM  
Blogger Red Photography said...

Okay, to clarify: It's okay to write testimonials. Just don't do it for that person you just started dating 2 minutes ago. Write them for your cat, or your best friend from college or your drinking buddies, or your high school, or your favorite bartender.

7:26 PM  
Blogger Mansard said...

Friendster is practically static at this point but I have found MySpace a ton of fun for snooping!

8:54 PM  
Blogger alwswrite said...

Come to think of it, it's been a while since I did the traditional dating dance. The only time I did was with a guy eight years my junior. The kid romanced me like Gene Kelly. Probably a fluke. Or maybe I'm on to something...

9:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home