hey pretty

Ceci n'est pas une "dating blog."

Wednesday, July 27, 2005

Hey Pretty's Scribe Regains Direction

Of course the same can not be said for Hey Pretty itself. I'm sure it will come as a huge disappointment to all five of my loyal readers, but I am temporarily suspending my budding career as a TV critic (see entry below) to assume the challenges of the next exciting phase of my life. I have accepted a position as a writer/publicist for a consulting company specializing in environmental issues. This will be the first time in my life that I have worked full-time at a for- profit venture (the others being my brief stint in publishing--not as glam as you'd think and working as a counter girl in a pizza restaurant). I'm pretty excited. I'll be doing a lot of writing about green building and energy issues, both of which have always interested me. I will also be receiving a 20% raise over my old job (still not a cushy life or anything, but based on my last salary, a nice increase) and the pleasure or working with normal people who aren't self-absorbed politico psychos.

This current two-month phase of my life, which I hope I will look back upon as the time I paused to have fun, get focused and regroup, has been at times chaotic and balancing. This isn't to say that I still won't find pleasure in flirting with boys, getting back into shape, reading the news and staying up late on school nights, but I will simply be doing a lot less of that (hopefully the gym/yoga will stick).

I don't miss my old job at all. It was utterly beneath my abilities and I disliked my boss (as a boss. She may be okay as a person). I still can't help but feel a little jilted by the laying off process, especially that she hired a new person to do the job that I had wanted to do all along. I'm slowly getting over it, but it's like having your boyfriend dump you for a super model. Even though he was a terrible conversationalist and had commitment issues and never took out the trash and you were going to leave him anyway, you can't help but feel annoyed that he beat you to it while totally overlooking all of your terrific qualities.

Anyway, that's that. Hopefully the new gig will allow me to finally save up for a new computer and I can get back into photography, a hobby that I suspended this summer due to limited funds. Waking up early won't be so much fun, I have never been able to transform myself into one of those people who loves early hours--my body simply craves sleep too much for that. The commute will be a huge change (Woodley Park to Silver Spring), but I will get to learn a new town and the 40 minute metro ride will give me a chance to read way more than I did at my old job.

So, there it is. I know I've learned a lot over the summer and if anything this experience has solidified my belief that all things happen for a reason.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wooooooooooooooo! Congrats!
It sounds like a *great* job - and who knows, learning a new area like Silver Spring might open up some new doors. Yay raises!

So when do you start? Will you be having a celebration/party to start off your fabulous new job?

And working for an environmental group - you'll have enough karma to share with strangers.

- DS

6:39 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am so happy for you - it sounds as though you've found a job you will find fulfilling and that is WONDERFUL!

Now the August 2nd Happy Hour will have one more new job holder to celebrate!!

6:58 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

go pretty, it's your birthday. go pretty! hooray for gainful employment, and welcome to my 'hood. we'll meet for drinkies one night when i leave work early. . .

7:19 PM  
Blogger MJW said...

Congratulations! New gig, yay!!!!!!!!

7:36 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home