hey pretty

Ceci n'est pas une "dating blog."

Thursday, May 19, 2005

Blah. Still here folks. Still staring possible unemployment in the face. Donations accepted at any time. I could really use a lap top, for instance. I want to be one of those mysterious people at Sparky's or Soho who bang away at their computers in the middle of the day. I used to assume they were students, but now I'm guessing something different. Ten bucks says they're casualties of progressive politics, or orphans of the movement, as I have taken to calling myself and everyone else who supported a campaign or a left-leaning non-profit last cycle. It's a strange thing about our work. We make little money and our jobs are never as stable as we think. We find immense gratification in having people tell us "wow, your organization does great work!" Our candidates lose (except for the state level pols who actually rocked the last election), our Directors are so frazzled they don't have time to complete grant applications, we lose our funding and our jobs. It's not such a rosy relationship and yet we continue to find ourselves in it. I'm working on a theory as to why we do this. Not the obvious answer or "fighting the good fight" or whatever. Details to come. Actually, that isn't even why I logged on today. I've been trying to think for some time about what Hey Pretty needs to make itself more interesting, other than perhaps a theme or some kind of editorial direction. I never claimed to be aiming for blogging greatness and I certainly feel no need for Hey Pretty to become an authority on anything. Having said this, I now know how to infuse little miss with some purpose. Advice for men. That's right, advice about women for men. Not to get all Carrie Bradshaw on my poor readers, but I do have a bit of experience dealing with the weird miscalculations of the male species and I now think that after dating half of Washington, D.C. that I may have a few pearls of wisdom to share with my beloveds. So--send me (or leave them in the comment box) any questions you got about dealing with women--why your girlfriend/the stranger next to you in bed got so pissed off when you did x, y or z, and I will try to enlighten. And if nobody sends me anything I will simply make letters up about topics that I feel like addressing.

4 Comments:

Blogger Red Photography said...

go right ahead. seriously. men don't dress very interestingly, which is probably why people would rather criticize janet reno than george bush. it turns out that i have nothing constructive to say about the subject.

3:13 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

C'mon - guys are *so* limited in choices. Jeans, khakis, dress-pants, whatever... maybe we get a fancy shirt. But girls can totally change their wardrobe - sundresses, skirts, dress-suits, etc. Plus, you get the widest assortment of cool shoes to adapt to whatever style/weather you want. Just think, on hot days you get to wear fun shoes that make you feel like its sunny and enjoyable out. (Sure, you might be 3 inches higher, but still...) Guys? We're in socks and whatever shoes fit the dress code we require.

- DS

4:42 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Tie selection... hmmm, I just try to avoid anything I think my father might wear.

I'm not really one to talk about fashion though - my preferred tastes would skew towards converse/skater attire rather than the suit/tie I'm encouraged to wear.

- DS

5:17 PM  
Blogger Red Photography said...

i think you guys are debating different things here. CG wants me to write blog entries that talk about men in power and how they dress. I don't think she cares what corporate lawyers wear, although you know perfectly well that I adore your post-work, rocking out to the pie tasters ensembles. as for me, i just haven't been very inspired to write about the dull wardrobes of men in power. They're boring and that is probably why nobody else blogs about them either.

5:22 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home