hey pretty

Ceci n'est pas une "dating blog."

Wednesday, May 23, 2007

Wanna Take a Look? Take a Look...

For reasons unclear even to myself, I have joined Facebook. I have resisted up until now because of some pre-conceived notion on my part that individuals who are 30 are too old for the site. Somehow, my lovely roommate convinced me to join. Enter a whole new era of fruitless cyber, um "research."

My embracing of Facebook is indicative of prominent thread that runs throughout my life. Whenever I make some appreciable step forward into becoming more of a full-fledged adult, I slide just a little further backward on a parallel path.

What am I talking about?

Yesterday I gave my BIG PRESENTATION. The one that has had my stomach in knots for the past several weeks. The one I was convinced would reduce me to jumble of anxious tears because that's how terrible I am at public speaking.

Instead, a funny thing happened.

I totally ROCKED it.

Yeah, I was a bit stiff and nervous at first, but 10 minutes in, I was cracking jokes, making sly asides, answering and deflecting questions with aplomb. I pretended I was an actress on the stage, playing a role--that of the brilliant young professional with a great new business idea. Only I was only in part playing, because in reality, that was me. At least in part.

Long story short, they loved my idea, and gave me the go-ahead to proceed (at least for the time being). A note from the CEO declaring my brilliance soon followed.

And yet today, I find myself immersed in the new world of Facebook. Of course, not even 5 minutes into joining I happen to discover that a boy, a boy who was once of significant note, recently reduced to a mere footnote within my everyday life, is a member. Not only a member, but a friend of a friend, through a really random, yet significant connection.

Just when you manage to put something out of your head, the Internet knocks it back in. Not particularly pleased by this new reminder, I'm now left pondering the possible reasons why these two people could know one another, and in what ways their friendship could shed light on to his bizarre behavior over the past several months.

Or I could just try to forget about it again. You know, like an adult would do.

In other news, my excitement about that other boy is waning, for various reasons currently too new-feeling to document.

How I am grateful for the upcoming long weekend in O-hi-O.

And for my hilarious friend who I haven't seen in 8 years, who I will get to see this weekend. Here's a snippet of a recent email exchange:


From: Hey Pretty
Sent: Friday, May 18, 2007 1:15 PM
To: redacted
Subject: reunion

A. and i are both prepping for reunion hard-core. she's been gorging
herself with tater tots and falafel.

Since I was recently blown off by the vegan graphic designer with
communication issues i was dating, i have since transitioned to an in-denial
hipster. and last night i had something like 5 beers for dinner.

we are both totally ready.

as for old and fat, not us. we're even more glowy, svelte and youthful than
we were at 19.

-----Original Message-----
From: redacted
Sent: Monday, May 21, 2007 5:40 PM
To: Hey Pretty
Subject: RE: reunion


It's going to be seriously fucking awesome to hang out again. You getting
in on Friday?

-----Original Message-----
From: Hey Pretty
Sent: Tuesday, May 22, 2007 4:38 PM
To: redacted
Subject: RE: reunion

yes, I arrive on Friday.


-----Original Message-----
From: redacted
Sent: Tuesday, May 22, 2007 5:25 PM
To: hey pretty
Subject: RE: reunion


Awesome. We just got home yesterday from an 8 day / 7 night trip to CA, so
we're still in vacation recovery mode and can't believe the reunion is just
three days away. I can't wait. There are going to be some serious
antics...


-----Original Message-----
From: Hey Pretty
Sent: Tuesday, May 22, 2007 5:28 PM
To: redacted
Subject: RE: reunion

There better be some serious antics. I'm not riding in a car from DC to Ohio
to stand around discussing the dominant paradigm for 3 days.


-----Original Message-----
From: redacted
Sent: Tuesday, May 22, 2007 6:03 PM
To: Hey Pretty
Subject: RE: reunion


Fuck the dominant paradigm. I'm going to count on you to spill a drink on
the first person who uses the term "paradigm" over the course of the
weekend...



Here's to the first of many spilled drinks...

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yahoo! So much good energy right now. I'm sorry the dude was a douche, but I have to disagree with you, my dear: an adult would take the chance, NOT forget him and thus spare her lovely self and regrets or what-ifs.

6:11 PM  
Blogger Kristin said...

Congrats on rocking the presentation!

7:59 PM  
Blogger EJ Takes Life said...

You go ahead and subvert that dominant paradigm. Subvert the hell out of it!

12:48 PM  
Blogger M@ said...

I don't think you need a vegan graphic designer, Kate.

4:27 PM  
Blogger jess said...

I'm so in awe of how awesome you did on your presentation. (Yes, I"m home this weekend and catching up on lost blog time... little late) Congratulations!

I hope paradigms shifted nervously in your reunion presence :)

9:34 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home