hey pretty

Ceci n'est pas une "dating blog."

Tuesday, May 15, 2007

No, Really. My Lips Are Sealed (I Mean It This Time)

Sometimes one gets the feeling that blogging about something could really potentially screw it up. I'm just feeling all sorts of unsettled about everything today. I have this big presentation at work about that thing that now has a billing code. If the presentation goes well, I'm officially the manager of my own project. If it doesn't, I'm stuck in my current position with no interesting opportunities in sight, and my next several months of blog entries will be all about my search for a new job.

I hate not knowing what's next.

On another note, I'm attending a college reunion Memorial Day weekend. Part of me wants to pull out the stops to do all I can to look as uber fabulous as humanly possible. Really, anything other than how I looked when I graduated would be an improvement. The details are too awful to divulge. Let's just say I was significantly fatter and I had been cutting my own hair. So even at my utter worst these days, I am significantly improved.

But why stop there?

Isn't the possibility of seeing people you haven't seen in 8 years a great motivator for buying new clothes? I think so. Plus, I have been steadily exercising and sort of dieting since January, and am actually seeing significant improvements. Last night like a complete dork, I measured myself and I am proud to report that I am almost a size 6. I know for many of you that doesn't seem terribly small. But being naturally curvy, it's an accomplishment for yours truly. I don't know if others really notice the difference, but I do. And because of that, I deserve new sundresses, dammit!

I wish I were one of those people who can afford to shop at CUSP and Barney's Coop (seriously, who are you people? would you mind telling me where you get all that money?) so instead I will have to settle for Banana Republic. I just sent my mom links to the dresses I'm considering. Again, because I am a dork and still seek my mother's approval.

My hair was already cut last month and since I'm not wild about it, I intend to leave it alone for a few months. I've been wearing it clipped up and back, which I will continue to do reunion weekend. I was considering an investment in a facial, but never having had one, I am nervous. My skin is incredibly sensitive and I don't think it would be wise to expose it to new procedures the same week I need it to look glowy and ten years younger. Instead, I'm investing in a good mud mask and some new tinted moisturizer. But if any of you have any suggestions for skin products that make you look glowy, dewy and youthy, do let me know.

Beyond that, there will be the requisite mani/pedi; an attempt to get a little color on my skin so I can look less white (on Friday, a friend pointed to the my chest and the veins that you can see through my skin and asked me if I'm sick. I had to explain to her that no, you can see my veins because I am simply "that white."); and probably more fruitless fretting.

So that's where I'm at today--a big old jumble of nerves. In the comment section, tell me what you're feeling anxious about; your favorite skin care product; or where I can buy some killer new dresses. But if you answer H&M, Gap, or Zara, I am deleting your comment. Consider yourself warned.

Labels: ,

8 Comments:

Blogger Shannon said...

I am anxious about everything! My impending $12 rent increase, the inherent insecurity of being a temp, having to pay for my own health insurance, a boy, my ex-husband's impending move back to DC, the fact that I'm having trouble focusing at work today, the fact that I probably need glasses, and my empty-for-me social calendar.

As for dresses, we're different body types (you're curvy petite and I'm boyish petite). But I have good luck at Forever 21. Also try Filene's Basement at 14th and F, they got some cute stuff in. Finally, Loehmann's usually has cute sundresses. Ann Taylor Loft has been hideous lately.

4:05 PM  
Blogger EJ Takes Life said...

Clinique Deep Cleansing Emergency Mask-- I use it twice a week and it's an utter lifesaver, making me all baby-butt smooth with no irritation. I also just got a really cute dress for around fifty bucks at Shake Your Booty in Adams Morgan. They have a whole line of drapey jersey dresses that are inexpensive, comfortable and (with the right shoes) very flattering.

Good luck with your presentation!

6:15 PM  
Blogger M@ said...

I heard you weren't using the new cover sheets for the TPS reports, Pretty....

7:04 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good things happen in threes, my dear. First the Love That Dare Not Speak Its Name, then Jerry Falwell (bless his dark heart) and the reunion will complete the trilogy.

You've seen my wardrobe, thus I am in no position to give fasion tips, but I do applaud your foresight with the facial. Yet and still, my microdermabrasion kit has done wonders for me.

White is tight, homegirl. And I don't mean that in a racist way, Matty.

8:51 PM  
Blogger honeykbee said...

You, my dear, definitely, MOST DEFINITELY, deserve new sundresses.

Proactiv refining mask. And sorry for the yelling.

12:56 AM  
Blogger Lorelai236 said...

Lately I'm growing anxious about the state of my liver.
Best beauty tip of all time: use sunflower oil as a makeup remover/rejuvenating mask. Don't ask why, just do it.
I miss you and need to hear more details about your new someone. :)

6:50 AM  
Blogger Red Photography said...

So I decided to apply the cash I would have spent on a facial to a new skin product and some new makeup. I am pleased to report that Origins makes a product called Modern Friction, which is sort of an alternative to dermabrasion, and better for sensitive skin. If your skin looks a little tired and dull, and if you're like me and freaking out about the appearance of "fine lines" go get yourself some.

Also purchased was an awesome black kohl liner from Benefit called Bad Gal, which goes on super silky and creates the perfect smokey lid.

And finally, another Benefit product I forget the name of that gives your skin a nice golden glow.

3:51 PM  
Blogger avocadoinparadise said...

A month ago I got a great sundress at jc penny's. Really good selection then and about half on sale. Reasonable to begin with. Not sure how it is now. Seriously, even though you have to trek out to the burbs, might want to give it a try. :)

12:19 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home