hey pretty

Ceci n'est pas une "dating blog."

Wednesday, March 21, 2007

Calling All A/V Geeks

The following items are at my house: television, ibook laptop, good stereo speakers, subwoofer.

The following items, I lack: DVD player, receiver.

Is it possible, dear lovely A/V geeks, to use my ibook as a receiver so that all of those components could be tied together in one glorious system?

Barring that, is it possible to, at the very least, connect the speakers and subwoofer to the ibook?

Questions like this illustrate why I need a boyfriend. Men are good at resolving things like that. And they're useful for reaching items on far-up shelves.

Labels:

5 Comments:

Blogger M@ said...

You need a receiver.

I'm pretty sure, unless I'm missing some new hardware Apple has been offering since I bought a PC.

To solve the speakers to PC thing, I wonder if there's some adapter you can get for the input jack on the mac?

Otherwise, you definately need a receiver.

I have decided that the CD player I bought nearly five years ago (JVC) is going to be the last one that I own. After that, no more CDs.

4:18 PM  
Blogger Alex said...

The problem with just connecting the speakers directly to the ibook is the ibook doesn't produce enough power by itself to drive the speakers. You need an amplifier for that, but you don't necessarily need to spend a whole lot of money, and you don't actually need a whole receiver.



Airtunes is the way to go if you've got a mac laptop.

2:28 AM  
Blogger allan said...

Alex and Matt are correct, as is it is not going to work. There are things you could buy for your iBook that would allow you to use it as an amplifier/receiver...but at that point you might as well just buy an amplifier/receiver (unless you plan to get into the DJ business).

8:39 AM  
Blogger M@ said...

Receivers don't cost that much anyway compared to their range of functionality versus some stupid Mac solution.

Just get a cheap receiver.

4:58 PM  
Blogger Red Photography said...

Okay! Tomorrow I will buy a cheap receiver.

Then I will buy a copy of DJing for Dummies.

Alex, you can explain Air Tunes to me at a later date.

9:03 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home