hey pretty

Ceci n'est pas une "dating blog."

Thursday, February 08, 2007

Everyone is Incompetent But Me

I'm having an interesting day at work here, kids. Most of our team is away at a meeting. Although I staffed said meeting last year, I was not asked to work on it this year. Just as well because I hate trade shows. The sorts of duties I performed last year are the kind I can do in my sleep because I did them so much at my very first job--meeting planning sorts of stuff; talking points; making sure VIPs are where they should be and doing what they should do; press releases; media lists; to-do lists; boxes of every random office supply you may need plus some safety pins, breath mints, a lighter and that emergency smoke (for anyone who needs it). It's common knowledge that I'm pretty much over that stuff. But apparently not so well known that I rock at it when forced to do it. My tyrannical bosses at my first job beat into me the fear of screwing up, and this fear has since evolved into a highly efficient way of running a show.

But the show isn't my problem this year, because I'm not there. But being here and not there, I have noticed some things that apparently didn't happen. I won't bore you with the details, but lets just say that I saved the day several times this morning between the hours of 9 am and 11 am. Amid all this, were my emails to the IT department checking in on a service that I requested two weeks ago. IT denied knowledge of such request, but I was able to back up my story with evidence: the original (well-written, friendly) email. Boo-ya! Take that. To which I received the most satisfying reply: "I stand corrected. We'll have it to you today." I know it's obnoxious, but nothing delights me more than the realization that I'm right. Especially when my skills and ability to take charge are overlooked.

****
Reading this entry is funny to me now that it's late afternoon and I have crashed from the morning's coffee high. Right now, with little left on my plate, I sit contemplating the mortality of Anna Nicole Smith.

3 Comments:

Blogger Average Jane said...

Anna Nicole's mortality is something we all pondered even when she was alive. If her whole life wasn't so fishy, then I'd say "wow, her death seems fishy".

As a former meeting planner, all I can do is give you a big hug and say "I understand." My office is at a show this week too. For a moment I was jealous. Then I realized that I'm sitting down right now and they aren't. Planning trade shows was much better than staffing them.

Just think, it's almost the weekend!

9:52 PM  
Blogger Frankly, Scarlett said...

sniffle

anna nichole - i shall miss her.

I'm sorry I wasn't around to keep you company via email today - i got bored and ducked out w my VP to see a movie :)

1:44 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

So bummed that Huricane Kate and Huricane Val couldn't hit Florida together. We'll storm the southern coast another time, lady.

4:36 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home