hey pretty

Ceci n'est pas une "dating blog."

Thursday, January 25, 2007

Hey, Hey, Ho-Ho! Po-mo Pants Have Got to Go!

Back in college, there was this clique of kids known to many as the po-mos. They acquired their nickname due to their collective interest in post-modern literary theory/art/film/what-have-you. They traveled in packs and wore unfortunate clothing several sizes too small (80's ski parkas and perfectly creased pants that showed off an inch of white sock). Many of them also played in bands. Bands that made fuzzy, distorted lo-fi music that they would play at parties and that sounded best when you were floating in a K-hole or were simply really, really stoned. The po-mos were my first real exposure to hipsters. I found them simultaneously annoying, compelling and a little scary. It was difficult to know what to do with the po-mos and as a result of that, some mocked them. These days, they just make me giggle. I can't in any way understand why their aesthetic was necessary or even desirable. The other day for instance, I noticed in a staff meeting that a colleague was wearing white socks, black shoes, and slightly too short pants. He later commented that he was sorry about the white socks, but it was a laundry day, and why did I keep on staring at his feet in the meeting? That's when I explained to him the po-mos.

Anyway, many of the po-mos graduated to play in indie-rock bands that eventually gathered wide followings (or wide for indie-rock standards at least). Many of these bands even became critical darlings.

Earlier today, I was looking at the website of a particular band, seeing what was new, if they had any albums coming up or live shows (yes they do, at the 9:30 Club). I clicked on the photos page, only to find myself eye-to-eye with the image of a boy I had several English classes with Jr and Senior year. Yup, it seems that shy kid with the odd pants and the funny early-80's style belts has gone and joined one of my favorite bands. I mean, I think he's been in it for a while, and I was just now getting around to looking at their website.

I related this information to two friends from college and one of them responded with one of her usual sage observations: There's just no escape from the po-mos.

Right on.

AND...I have decided to combat my winter blues by taking up running, yet again. I know I've mentioned this before, but then I injured myself and had to stop. But methinks it's time to give it another shot. I'm following a program on Runnersworld.com. It is telling me to begin by...walking. This, I think I can swing. So, to the gym I go to walk. At least for a few days, until I begin my walk/run regiment. I think it would be nice to be in better shape. I don't have major issues with my figure these days, although I think it could be a little slimmer and a bit more toned. That, and I think it would be a good hobby, and endorphins do a body good. I already eat rather well, simply because I'm a nerd and I prefer healthy foods to grease. Don't get my wrong, I love the occasional fried food as much as the next gal, but I actually crave things like brown rice, nutritional yeast and veggies. Of course, there's always the desire to drop 20 pounds, just for kicks, but having done this before, I know they don't stay off for very long. Especially when I count alcohol as a major food group.

On an entirely different and perhaps counter-productive note: a co-worker gave me a fondue set. Who wants to come over for a little cheese fondue?

10 Comments:

Blogger Frankly, Scarlett said...

OOOOO I DO I DO!

9:58 PM  
Blogger Alex said...

Are you talking about Ian Svenonius?

A number of years ago, I asked my parents for a fondue set for Xmas. I imagined myself as an urban sophisticate, hosting weekly fondue parties. But in the end I never used it. Don't let this happen to you!

10:08 PM  
Blogger Kristin said...

Mmmmm... melty, cheesy goodness.

10:15 PM  
Blogger Red Photography said...

Good God, Alex. I'm not *that* old.

10:23 PM  
Blogger Jason said...

Po-mos, I love it!

I was dating this girl once who wanted to know if I was a Republican or a Democrat or whatever. With a straight face I told her that while aligned with many ideals of "libertarian" philosophy, I considered myself to be a Post-Modern Contrarian. (I love fucking with people.)

Vote Po-Mo Contrarian in '08!

12:57 AM  
Blogger Alex said...

whoops, I just dated myself!

3:22 AM  
Blogger 123Valerie said...

I have seriously happy childhood memories about fondue. And English class and crushes who went on to form successful bands.

Oh, and also MIRLing. Yahoo! I want the red skewer for the fondue set, if I could please.

4:17 AM  
Blogger Ryane said...

Hello--I am sooo in for fondue. AND--I can know an amazing recipe for chocolate fondue sauce w/ grilled pinapple...mmm, mmm...good. =-)

1:17 PM  
Blogger MJW said...

(1) So are you going to keep us in the dark as to who this indie band is? Or the other indie bands that the other po-mos are associated with? You can at least email me off-blog.

(2) I don't know if you have previously been a runner, but be careful if you're a debutante to the game. I used to run, and had to stop b/c I was really dumb and ran uphill a lot, thus wreaking havoc on my knees.

(3) I want some cheese fondue! Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

1:31 PM  
Blogger mysterygirl! said...

I, too, am very curious about what the band is!

I think that running and fondue go hand in hand! Or, rather, one will offset the other quite nicely. :)

12:28 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home