hey pretty

Ceci n'est pas une "dating blog."

Tuesday, September 12, 2006

Dear Fashion Industry...

Yes, it is time for another rant about clothing, and the challenges of finding clothing that actually fits. Now, I have said it before, and I will say it again. Hey Pretty is not one of those rail-thin types who can pull off any style. This one, she has some curves (you know, like actual real women tend to). Yet while a classic hourglass figure may be handy for causing certain boys to swoon, it does me no good when seeking out garments with which to cover said curves. All I want is an outfit that I can wear to a client meeting that doesn't require being pinned together or sitting with my shoulders rolled back to an impossible angle. I want pants that conform to my waist while accommodating my hips. Fashion industry, why is this so hard for you to understand? Do you know the number of women I know who have issues with button down shirts because they gape at bust while being way too large for their mid-sections? Why must you insist that everyone is proportioned in the same way? I am willing to meet you half-way here. Ages ago I accepted that at just under 5'3", everything would be too long for me. I even found an okay tailor and have been diligently taking my things in to be hemmed. An extra expense, yes. But I accept the burden. But please, how 'bout you throw me a bone here?

Perhaps you are thinking that I simply need to lose weight, and then clothing would fit. While my weight is certainly none of your business, I can assure you that my BMI falls within a reasonable range of what is healthy, and even when I successfully got myself down to a size 0 several years ago by boycotting most forms of solid food, I still had this problem. So the problem clearly lies with you, not me.

So let's address this issue of respectable, non-dowdy work wear for non-toothpicks. After that we can move on to attractive shoes that are comfortable to walk in.


Your friend,

HP

8 Comments:

Blogger Kristin said...

Well said. I lost crazy amounts of weight a couple of years ago and ended up flashing even more cleavage than ever before. At size 4, triple D was darn hard to cover. I want clothes that don't make me frumpy and don't make me look like a whore. Is that too much to ask?

8:37 PM  
Blogger JoJo said...

Sing it, sister! I've given up on button down shirts for the same reason you mentioned.

9:22 PM  
Blogger Frankly, Scarlett said...

Curvy women of the world unite!!! And PS, Curvy does NOT = Fat!

11:38 PM  
Blogger Ryane said...

HAHA. Too true! I have the exact opposite problem--because I a fairly small chest, the front of most button-down shirts bunches up on me--thus looking too big. Or--those really pretty V neck shirts that are meant to show a little clevage end up dipping down to my belly...soo annoying.

I won't EVEN get started on the fun of trying to find a bra that will fit...;-}

11:45 AM  
Blogger Red Photography said...

K-Wow. Yes that does sound like a challenge. I think the industry assumes that small size always= small boobs. Not always the case.

J-I think I have decided that the only way I will wear button-downs is with other sweaters over them. Plus, that way you have less ironing to do. And I hate ironing.

IR-Exactly! Although often a synonym for fat, doesn't always mean fat. Curvy can in fact also mean size 6 waist, size 10 chest. Just sayin'.

AKP-Yup!

R-Yikes, I had always assumed that girls with less going on up top could find bras that fit. Now that I hear that's not the case I can only assume that bras do not fit anyone. People complain about swimsuit and jeans shopping. Bra shopping is the absolute worst. And the sizing? OMG the sizing makes no sense.

2:31 PM  
Blogger EclecticBlue said...

AMEN, HP! I've got the small waist-generous butt thing going on. "Ethnic" fashion designers, like Apple Bottoms, understand this. Mainstream "white" fashion designers, however, still mostly live with the belief that if you aren't 5'10 and 110 lbs., you must want to dress like a frump. Grrrr!

2:37 PM  
Blogger Red Photography said...

EB-Good tip. And this reminds me of a story. About a year ago, I was waiting for the bus on U street when a group of black girls rolled up, waiting at the light. One of them rolled down the window, looked me up and down and proclaimed, "damn, your ass is fat." I stood there in horror for a second before her friend leaned over her laughing and said "she means fat with a ph, as in you have a black girl butt." then the light turned and the drove off while I stood in semi-shock wondering if I should feel flattered or violated.

3:41 PM  
Blogger recovering overachiever said...

I think any woman has trouble buying clothes, at any size.
I consider myself to be a mixed bag, big butt, medium chest, short and small waist. Can't find clothes.
When I used to weigh more and really the only thing working against me was that I was short, I still can't find clothes.
You know the episode of Project Runway a couple weeks ago when they had to design for real women and most of them had a lot of trouble? I think mainsteam fashion can't really cater to the differences among women.
It would be so much better if, instead of huge labels that are supposed to fit everyone, designers concentrated on making clothes for specific groups: petites, girls with curves, tall girls, etc.

8:05 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home