hey pretty

Ceci n'est pas une "dating blog."

Monday, August 28, 2006

"So DC"

When you live in Washington, DC there are certain romantic experiences one can have that may be described as "so DC." Touring the monuments on a first date, drinks at the Hotel Washington, walk of shaming it home from the Watergate are all excellent examples. I have one more to add to the list: kissing a man in uniform goodbye in front of the Pentagon as you see him off to work.

BTW, despite having lived here for over seven years, this was the first time I have ever boarded the metro at the Pentagon. It was such an intriguing cross section of subcultures--military personnel in various types of uniforms (saluting one another--when my man saluted a passerby I seriously felt like I was tripping), civilians in the finest Banana Republic, and war protesters. Now, as anyone who knows me or regularly reads HP knows, I fully support free speech and the rights of people to publicly object to the war. However, there seems something, I don't know, wrong, about protesting in front of the Pentagon. I mean, milling right by you are people who have made a serious commitment to protect and defend our country. Even though I don't agree with our role in Iraq, it seems like a slap in the face to me to protest it to people who are going off to defend our freedoms.

7 Comments:

Blogger Frankly, Scarlett said...

very true...snaps to you for pointing that out!

~salute~

Red

2:55 PM  
Blogger Red Photography said...

Sheesh, you can protest wherever you want, I simply think it's insensitive. I didn't say you can or can't do anything. chill.

6:37 PM  
Blogger media concepts said...

I think the protesters do not confuse the warriors with the war. It's possible to support the former but not the latter. Doesn't Donald Rumsfeld work in the Pentagon? He's a civilian, right? I think that's why the protesters protest there, and why it is important for them to do so.

9:20 PM  
Blogger Frankly, Scarlett said...

so does this mean the new boy is not only a republican but an army boy??

11:47 PM  
Blogger Red Photography said...

Navy. He's a Navy boy. A whisky-drinking, country music liking, hotter than f*ck Navy boy. Lord help me.

12:39 AM  
Blogger Red Photography said...

Matt,

I agree with you that protesters can tell the difference and I certainly don't advocate *banning* protestors from the pentagon. I just wish they could protest in a way that shows their support for troops while expressing their anti-war sentiments.

3:38 PM  
Blogger Red Photography said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

3:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home