hey pretty

Ceci n'est pas une "dating blog."

Thursday, July 20, 2006

Poll Time

Warning: Male readers will probably grow bored with this post rather quickly.

I seem to blog about my hair a fair amount, which is sad really, but it's been a minor preoccupation for most of my life. See, I have a lot of it and it's rather difficult to effectively manage.

Every summer when the hot weather rolls around I entertain the notion of chopping it all off. Although it's currently brown, curly and somewhat long, it has been in its time:

1.) Medium-length and purple
2.) Short and blond
3.) Medium-length and brown
4.) Short and brown
5.) Short and blue
6.) Short and red
7.) Medium-length and blond
8.) So short as to be practically non-existent/bordering on crew cut (otherwise known as the summer everyone assumed I was a lesbian).
9.) Medium-length and a lovely color that can only really be described as "swamp." This was the result of applying henna to fading out Manic Panic purple over a home bleach job. Yeah, it was a total mess. If Amy is by any chance lurking, she can vouch for the unsightlyness of the whole thing.

And several combinations of the above.

Other than to totally date myself as a 90's teenager/college student, the point of that list was simply to illustrate that I'm not normally one to shy away from experimentation. If somebody suggested I chop all my locks off, I wouldn't scream in horror.

So, as I said earlier, every summer when the anguish of finding creative new ways to combat frizz starts to get the better of me, I begin to contemplate making a major change. It's been the same way for a few years now, which is unheard of for me. What I can't decide is if I'm in a rut or if I have simply found a style that works relatively well and to leave it alone. It's quite pretty, but very heavy, prone to frizz, and it makes me look like a hippy. In conservative old DC, looking like a hippy isn't really in one's best interest, especially as one approaches 30 and starts to think it might be nice for people to take her a bit more seriously. I guess what I'm trying to say in my fractured, round about way, is that I need a change but I don't know what it should be.

I can hear you now saying "why doesn't she ask her stylist?" Because stylists are no help at all. When I ask them what I should do, they usually just stare at me blankly and mutter "I dunno, what do you want to do?" They're utterly useless.

So, my question is: What should I do? And I am not asking you to assess what it seems like I want based on what I've written here and to reflect my sentiments back to me (which was useful during the apartment dilemma). For those of you who know me, what do you think I should do? If, assuming you had skills, you had a pair of scissors in your hand and my head was two inches away from you what would you use those shears to create? The those of you who have never seen me or my hair are welcome to weigh in on the matter as well, you'll simply have a less reliable visual to go on.

Later I promise to blog about cold fusion or something similarly brainy to make up for the vapidness of this post.

7 Comments:

Blogger LuLu said...

I vote fun highlights.

3:32 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Did you dig the overly dark color from your last hairstylist post? Perhaps a gothy dark with some stylish highlights?

- DS

3:46 PM  
Blogger Kristin said...

I'm a big fan of big cuts (but I have to say that because I just did it). You've got lovely hair. Maybe a little shorter? With highlights?

4:10 PM  
Blogger Red Photography said...

Thanks, guys. I meant length/style-wise what should I do. I just had highlights and opted to get rid of them for something darker and more natural.

DS: It actually faded out of the goth look pretty fast. It's currently a lovely shade of dark brown that I have no intention of messing with.

K: Why, thank you! I think I'm leaning towards "a little shorter" in other words--a trim. How original.

Lulu just got a smashingly cute bob herself, but my hair isn't straight enough to pull that off.

5:35 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

this is a common dillemma for those of us whose hair tends to the frizzy side. i always want to chop my hair off every summer...but the potential frizz/muchroom head situation does not excite me.

How do you feel about doing some interesting layers? bangs? I will find some interesting styles for you...

7:27 PM  
Blogger Lickety Split said...

Mohawk?

OK, maybe not. I didn't want there to be an absence of male readers replying so I figure I had to toss my two cents.

Obviously those who know you personally have the best ideas but as aman with formerly "frizzy" but now thinning hair,...who used to live in the humidity of the Gulf Coast...I would say that there isn't anything wrong with short...way short. It's all about comfort girlfriend...yours.

Go for that Germanic-dominatrix-Sheena-Easton-late-80s-look.

Just my .02 ;D

5:37 AM  
Blogger Lickety Split said...

Forgot...sorry it IS 2am. (Don't ask)...

As for color, I am kind of newly into "auburn with highlights" for my fantasy woman...

I agree about stylists. Don't ask them. I once dated a girl who would do that and her stylist would start out all excited, "OH GIRL, I had this DREAM the other night..." and the next thing I know she'd come back looking like a cross between the Jetsons and Patty and Selma from the Simpsons....sheesh (,...who does the styling on THAT show!)

;)

6:07 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home