hey pretty

Ceci n'est pas une "dating blog."

Monday, July 17, 2006

Road map of a rational, mature decision

So, I am passing on the apartment. My friend the owner would require my lease to begin in August and that simply is not enough time to mentally and physically prepare for a move. I own way more books and assorted art supplies than a sane person should, and the anguish of having to pack it, carry it to a new location, and unpack it again is too much for me to bear with only two weeks notice to get it all together. Moreover, I don't need to move. Yes, having a space of my own is a dizzyingly attractive prospect, but not attractive enough to jump at the first available opportunity. In conducting a bit of research, I learned that I can get a place with almost twice as much space for the same price in a neighborhood almost as good as the one I was offered this morning. I really, really despise moving. Friends always offer to help, but when it comes down to it, I always feel awful asking it of them. Plus, there simply aren't enough reasons to compel me to leave my current situation. Yes, group houses can be a little dicey, but various factors have caused me to warm to mine over the past year. And I am SPOILED when it comes to rent. I won't tell you where I live and how much I pay because you'll just get jealous.

To help me arrive at my decision, I made a pro and con list. Although the pros outnumbered the cons, the cons held more weight than the pros. What I learned is that I will probably be ready to move back into my own place within the next 6 months to a year, but that this particular opportunity is not the right one for me. When I told my mom what my decision was, she indicated that I was making the right choice. Not that I need mommy to validate my decisions, but it did feel kinda good to hear her agree with me.

2 Comments:

Blogger Lickety Split said...

It's all about understanding your own logic. Yes, you're giving up some things but you sound as though you've figured out what's important to you and how important each item is.

Congrats. Welcome to adulthood.

12:56 AM  
Blogger Red Photography said...

Exactly. Wow, is that what adulthood is? Not as hard as I thought. I'm clearly making some progress here.

7:35 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home