hey pretty

Ceci n'est pas une "dating blog."

Tuesday, April 25, 2006

Take My Mom, Please

So Mother's Day is around the corner and I want to do something different this year. Namely, I want to burn my mother a CD of songs either referring to motherhood, or with the word "mother", "mom", "mamma", etc. somewhere in them. The catch is that they have to be good songs that rock, songs that a mom-aged person (see my kind unwillingness to sell her age out?) would enjoy, especially if this mom-aged person is a huge classic rock fan. So far I have...Take Your Mamma by the Scissor Sisters, a song I adore because it suggests liquoring your mom up on cheap champagne, something that amuses me to no end because MY mother is certainly WAY to sophisticated and finicky about her bubbly to settle for anything less then Veuve. But I digress. I need help! What are some other good songs? Taking suggestions....NOW!

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Danzig - Mother? Maybe not the tone you were looking for...

Zap Mama - Rafiki (Okay, so the artist has the word Mama... but it's a good song.)

Queen Latifa - When you're good to Mama

Fountains of Wayne - Stacy's Mom (maybe that would be a bit creepy)

Johnny Cash - Send a picture of Mother

- DS

6:19 PM  
Blogger Red Photography said...

Jonny Cash is good, thanks.

Um, that Queen Latifa song is from Chicago, and if I'm not mistaken, its a reference to having a lesbian relationship with your prison guard. Probably not so appropriate.

Fountains of Wayne is good too--i remembered it after i posted it. My mom would find if amusing.

Danzig, I dunno...Isn't that what 13 year old boys listened to in 1992?

6:32 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Don't forget Tupac "Dear Mamma"

8:23 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

mama mia. you gotta have a mama mia in there. everyone has a mom who loves ABBA.

boyz II men's "mama" is like the total tear-jerker mom song.

lenny kravitz has a song called "mama said" I think. or was that an album?

-T

8:33 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Classic rock, eh? How about these:

Rolling Stones - Mother’s Little Helper

The Beatles - Your Mother Should Know

Bob Dylan - It’s Alright, Ma (I’m Only Bleeding)

Bob Dylan - Tough Mama

Three Dog Night - Mama Told Me (Not to Come)

Pink Floyd - Mother

It’s a start, I’m sure I could come up with many more if pressed. Obviously these aren’t really songs that are all expressly written towards moms, but I think you get the point.

My favorite on the list (for Mother’s Day gift value) would probably be “Tough Mama” off Planet Waves. The opening lines: “Tough mama, meat shaking on your bones, I'm gonna take you down to the river and get you stoned..” The song may have a catch, Bobby’s talking about a brown-skinned beauty he wants to marry, but I think that can be overlooked.

8:55 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I wasn't cool enough to listen to Danzig when it came out... so I wouldn't know.

Alright - perhaps the Chicago song isn't quite fitting...

Along those lines, "Hey Mama" from the Black Eyed Peas probably isn't a winner either...

I'd enjoy hearing the playlist once the tracks are set.

- DS

9:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home