hey pretty

Ceci n'est pas une "dating blog."

Wednesday, April 12, 2006

It All Looks the Same, Even From Different Angles

Because I am a huge dork, I play on two kickball teams. Sundays are for the team I've been with for many seasons, in a league I have grown to love despite its eccentricities. Tuesdays are for a team I recently joined through work. I joined the work team because in our office, kickball is the 20-something equivalent to golf--a bonding activity that if you don't participate in, you risk being a total outsider. Unfortunately, my office team formed last year and everyone knows one another and is all bonded and doesn't really have time for the new girl. A note about me: when I feel like I'm not fully accepted in a situation, I tend to withdraw and feel isolated, so my own lack of assertiveness isn't really helping. My beloved Sunday team, of which I have been a co-captain for several seasons (at this point it's basically a habit) is notorious for not winning very often. But we love flip cup and we're all social and have plenty of friends in the division. My Tuesday team is undefeated. Last night we won 14-4. The other team told us we take the game too seriously. My Tuesday teammates rarely socialize with other teams, and they're terrible at flip cup. They looked at me like I was from Mars when I suggested a game of Survivor Flip Cup. In short, my other team is *that team*--the team I have never liked.

Which brings me to the point of my entry: Kickball appears to be the same everywhere in DC. Every league has the same token characters:

-The competitive team that doesn't socialize and sucks at flip cup (already covered)
-The annoying screeching 22 year old girls
-The team that exists only to play flip cup, that is still playing at 12:30 when the bar is clearing out
-The guy who thinks he's hot shit, who sort of is in fact, who isn't about to let you forget it, who probably isn't worth the hassle but it'll take you several mistakes to figure that out. (him to me: so is this where the hot chicks on the blue team hangout? Me: Yawn)
-The bartenders who watch in amusement
-The boys who are so drunk they can barely formulate a sentence
-The annoying person with a camera ready to capture a bunch of really bad ideas on her digital zoom, preserved for posterity for all the world to see.

Adendum: I forgot to mention that 75% of Tuesday's team is stoned all the time, and who likes hanging out with people who are always stoned and don't share with you?

6 Comments:

Blogger I-66 said...

Ah yes... sounds very similar to my soccer league. Though we don't have teams that take it way too seriously so much as we have specific players who do. Each team seemingly has at least one who doesn't remember the word "recreational" when it comes to our game.

3:41 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What is the point of being on a kickball team if they don't socialize? I thought that was the whole premise of the reemergence of the sport. (That, and I'm pretty sure the inflatable rubber-ball people got a new marketing strategist.)

Woooo - flip cup!

DS

4:36 PM  
Blogger Red Photography said...

They socialize, just with one another. They don't socialize with other teams, something I have never understood.

5:01 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Who doesn't share? That's the shadiest shit of all, everyone should enjoy (some situations (big parties, etc.) aside). The thing is, not sharing will bring bad voodoo on those who practice it. What comes around, goes around.

It’s a performance thing too. If you get me on the tennis court sober, I’ll probably take a while to get adjusted. If you get me on their freshly baked, I’m going to be feeling that topspin after a few strokes.

5:30 PM  
Blogger EJ Takes Life said...

Not sharing and mediocre flipcup? Are you sure they're worth your time?

2:22 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think these people suck and are not worth a quizzo tuesday

lm

10:21 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home