hey pretty

Ceci n'est pas une "dating blog."

Thursday, June 28, 2007

Eight Reasons Why It's All About Me

Another meme is making its way through the DC Blogosphere. The name of the game? It's pretty simple actually: 8 Things About Me. As a self-centered only child, this should be easy for me.

1. Post the rules, then list eight things about yourself.
2. At the end of the post, tag and link to eight other people.
3. Leave a comment at those sites, letting them know they've been tagged, and asking them to come read the post so they know what to do.

1.) I am currently breaking in a new pair of shoes. Because this is causing all sorts of discomfort, I have been walking around the office barefoot this morning. Good thing I got a pedicure (manicure too) yesterday. My toe and finger nails are currently painted a very deep dark vampy purple. Lincoln Park After Dark (OPI) in case you care. Not very summer-like but I like my polish on the dramatic side. Yes, I am a hippy who walks around barefoot. Deal with it.

2.) Sometimes in order for me to motivate myself, I have to get into a very bad mood. This is the case today, with a presentation I have to give. I don't *want* to give it, so rather than preparing I am sitting at my desk silently complaining. Actually, I am now writing this blog entry. But before that I was complaining.

3.) Emoticons annoy me. As do abbreviations for various phrases that have only developed since the birth of the internet. You know what I mean. LOL. LMAO. ROTFL. Seriously people, get it together and use actual words from the English language.

4.) I'm pretty sure the bra I have on today is the wrong size. Having it on my body, it seems simultaneously too big and too small. I know I've lost a little weight since I bought it, so this isn't much of a shock. In all honesty, I have no idea what size should be wearing and it wouldn't surprise me to find out that all of my bras are the wrong size.

5.) I am secretly a rather vindictive individual. But rather than enacting revenge on those I feel have done myself or others harm, I like to think that karma will catch up with them. If I had a superhero alter ego her name would be Karma Girl.

6.) I tend to develop crushes on the wrong people. My life is a constant and never ending enactment of a Midsummer Night's Dream, without the bestiality and good lighting design. This is especially true of people towards whom it would be downright *inappropriate* to crush on. For some reason, my warped little mind finds people who are "off limits" to be infinitely appealing. I wonder if this is simply a mark of immaturity and I will eventually outgrow it, or if I am doomed to a life of wanting what I can't have. And when I'm drunk, I crush on everyone, although I don't really mean it. 85% of what I say when hammered should be discounted as hyperbole.

7.) I love the color green. Today I have on an emerald green tee shirt. On my left hand middle finger is a cocktail ring with a huge green quartz. My wrists are decorated with bakelite bracelets (one green, two yellow, one orange) from an antique store on Beacon Hill in Boston. I collect bakelite bracelets, although they've gotten mighty pricey now that they're all trendy and shit.

8.) It annoys me when people describe art or design from the Art Nouvea movement as Art Deco. Art Nouvea peaked in the years 1892 to 1902 and is typified by an organic movement of forms and inspiration from nature. Art Deco was a popular aesthetic movement in the 1920's and 1930s. Art Deco was inspired by technologies that were being born at the time--air planes, radios, cars. It can be identified by its faithful use of geometric patterns and sleek, streamlined shapes. I know it's silly to expect most people to know the difference, but it irks me just the same because their inspiration is so different as are their historical contexts.

What also annoys me is when people employ the "I hate modern art because anyone can splash a can of paint on to a canvas" argument. First of all, you didn't. Second of all, that's besides the point. When you step away from the canvas and look at a work in its historical context--when it was painted and by whom, it takes on a whole new meaning. Art isn't just about the thing it represents. It's about finding new ways to represent something. Modern art is significant in the way that it attacks the whole question of depicting the world and the ideas it contains. I find that when it comes to art people are lazy. They don't like to think about what something could be, so instead they get annoyed with it and write it off as crap because they don't understand it. It's sad, really.


9.) Not to break the rules or anything but here's one more fact: I am useless when I am hungry. I suffer from hypoglycemia and when my blood sugar is low two significant things happen. First, I get cranky. Second, my listening comprehension skills take a nose-dive. My teenage attempts at functional anorexia were ultimately futile due to the fact that I could never think or hear straight, which was problematic as I was trying to get an education at the time.

If you're still reading this post, look closely. I now must tag eight others to post a similar entry on their blogs. Are you looking? Get ready...I'm about to do some tagging...Okay....Ryane, Lorelai, Mystery Girl, So DC, Tilly, Have You Met Me, Zandria, Shannon. Did you see your name on there? Yes? Then get cracking. No? That's too bad. Don't let that stop you...

6 Comments:

Blogger Kristin said...

Great list! I love the stuff about art. And the fact that you're walking around your office barefoot. And that you listed nine things. Go, HP!

6:42 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Very interesting "About Me's"! I have a hard time thinking of things that I haven't already told people, but I'm honored to be tagged and I will try to get on it by sometime next week. :)

3:28 PM  
Blogger M@ said...

I Understand the whole modern art justification; i'm just Underwhelmed by it. That's all. That's it. Now I'll shut it.

5:06 PM  
Blogger Ryane said...

haha! Hey, thanks HP. I will return the favor this weekend. I love Lincoln Park After Dark, too!! Lately though, I have been all over the black polish..so inky. i love it!

2:34 AM  
Blogger Lorelai236 said...

#2 is hilarious! :)

Emoticons are now a part of our collective vocabulary. They've even garnered a mention in Wikipedia. Resistance is futile.

12:41 PM  
Blogger Jason said...

Here, here for the charge against "emoticons." Terrible little things...

11:32 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home