hey pretty

Ceci n'est pas une "dating blog."

Monday, August 21, 2006

Confessions of a Former Indie Rock Snob

There was a time, back in the day, that if more than say, 100 people* had heard of a band, I wouldn't like them. My CD collection consisted exclusively of albums from labels like Touch & Go and Matador. If Steve Albini had anything to do with it, I owned it. If the album consisted mainly of fuzzy distorted guitar music and vaguely unpleasant noise, chances are I adored it. But this morning, strutting into work very late because kickball crush kept me up waaaaaaay into the night**, L.O.V.E by Ashlee Simpson blaring into my ears, I realize that the paradigm has definitely shifted, dare I say, been blasted wide open. I used to take pride in my mastery of semi-obscure indie rock bands, figuring that the popularity of an album was inversely related to the IQ of the listener. Only shallow, "average" people listened to mainstream music. Hooray for intellectual/artistic snobbery.

These days, although my Ipod still features songs by indie groups like the Wrens, Broken Social Scene and Ted Leo, it is slowly balancing out with music that, back in the day, I would have been mortified to admit I like. But these days, I see nothing wrong with rolling home from the gym rocking out to Xtina Aguilera or strolling up to Cleveland Park to buy groceries while listening to a little Ciara. Yes, I will always count Sonic Youth and Slint to be some of the most groundbreaking groups of their day, but somedays what I girl really needs is a good dose of booty shaking, bubble-gummy, girl powered pop to get her through her chores. I attribute this to many forces, the most significant one being the fact that I am no longer a student at a snotty liberal arts college located in the middle of nowhere populated by disaffected pomo kids from Manhattan. The social contexts that influence my life and my tastes are broader and more fluid. My friends are more diverse. And more importantly, many of them even love pop music. And through them I have come to as well.***

My name is Hey Pretty, and I like (some) pop music.

*Clearly an exaggeration.
**SQUEE!!!!!
***It could also be due to my current addiction to Laguna Beach, where I seem to come in contact with a lot of new tunes.

8 Comments:

Blogger MJW said...

Huh. Quite a riveting post today, Hey Pretty. And good on ya for finding ways to love pop.

1) You've got me wondering: if your newfound pop-music luv says so much about your environment, friends, and social contexts, what does my recent OBSESSION with jazz say about me? Have I just reached dizzying new heights of snobbery?

2) although my Ipod still features songs by indie groups like the Wrens
You're welcome.

3) "Squee"?

3:47 PM  
Blogger Red Photography said...

Riveting. I can't tell if that's sarcasm or not.

"Squee" is an obnoxious, high pitched noise of glee that girls emit to indicate enthusiasm or delight over something like a cute boy.

3:55 PM  
Blogger MJW said...

Not sarcasm. I really liked it.

4:58 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think that the further you are removed from the college-scene, the easier it is to pick-up more mainstream habits..

I used to be much more in touch with the Black-Cat bands... Now, I'm solidly stuck on 9:30's. (Except for the Pietasters who still head back to the Cat for a show or two.)

That being said, I adore the new Christina A. cd... (or at least a few tracks of it.) But I openly admit I adore music that embarrasses other people...


- DS

4:59 PM  
Blogger Red Photography said...

MJW, back to you.

1.) Thank you.
2.) I don't think liking jazz is snobby. It shows a bit more thought is all.

3.) The Wrens. Love. I got my roommate to add Boys You Won't to a mix he made a while back.

DS: I am losing all hipster cred. But the great thing about growing older is not caring about hipster cred.

7:44 PM  
Blogger Frankly, Scarlett said...

i am a fan of the SQUEE!!

Don't worry - it happens to the best of us. Like trying to eat healthy - you know it's good for you. You know its the right thing to do (Indie rock) but those fluffy twinkies are just SO good. It's junk food for your musical soul. It's OK now and then - just don't make a diet out of it!

~Red

8:23 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

HP - don't worry, you'll always have "hipster cred" with me.

Guaranteed, you'll always have about 10x the amount I ever had...

- DS

9:36 PM  
Blogger Lickety Split said...

Just cause they're mainstream don't mean they can't sing...

If it makes you feel good...listen to it. My personal cheese collection includes Cher and one song from 98 degrees even though they go against my alternative band sensibilities.

5:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home