hey pretty

Ceci n'est pas une "dating blog."

Thursday, August 16, 2007

What I Want To Be When I Grow Up?

Frequent readers will note that once every six months or so I identify a new career that I think I might like to pursue. They've run the gamut over the years, the most recent ones being Green Urban Developer and Journalist. Well, this week I have a new one: Librarian.

Think about it. Librarians are involved with some of the coolest activities on earth:

1.) Reading books
2.) Research
3.) Using creative problem solving techniques to answer questions
4.) Promoting literacy
5.) Promoting the spread of information and potentially influencing social change
6.) Upholding 1st Amendment Rights and fighting censorship
7.) Spreading ideas


All of these activities are ones that I feel quite passionately about so it is therefore somewhat strange that this occupation is just now occurring to me. I mean, I practically lived in the library in college and in my current life I insist on surrounding myself with books at basically all times. I also have a life-long fascination with information, and how it's structured and presented.

It's not just because librarianism is hip and getting hipper by the day either nor because Parker Posey's character in Party Girl ultimately became one.

The job just speaks to me on so many different levels.

Having just had this epiphany yesterday it's too soon to say if it will stick. But I am looking into becoming a library volunteer somewhere, perhaps at the DC Public Library or Provisions. Right now, I can't think of anything cooler.

3 Comments:

Blogger Ryane said...

uuuhw. HP, that's a great idea for a new career. not only do you get all the cool stuff you said--but librarians get to wear the coolest glasses!! And, at the end of the day, pull their luscious hair out of it's tightly-pinned bun with a dramatic swoosh...

oh, sorry. wait. that was a bad harlequin romance flashback i think...;-)

1:41 AM  
Blogger EclecticBlue said...

I've seriously thought that librarian would be a cool job too, despite the stereotype of the horn-rimmed glasses and orthopedic shoes and constant shushing. I think it would be great to work in a nice, quiet atmosphere where, for the most part, you're dealing with people who are at least kinda smart.

2:33 PM  
Blogger BobtheBatmobile said...

One of my closest friends from high school is a librarian and Loves it. I think it sounds like an awesome idea!

8:39 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home