hey pretty

Ceci n'est pas une "dating blog."

Thursday, August 09, 2007

The Criminal Justice System And You

Several of you have wondered why I chose not to press charges against W, who kicked my door in last week in a drunken attempt to find a place to sleep. To those of you who viewed his actions as reckless and dangerous, I hear you and I agree. However, our city's criminal justice system is a tricky thing. Like that of many cities, it is bogged down with cases, many pertaining to serious issues such as rape, homicide, kidnapping and a host of other atrocities. Have you ever noticed how frustrating it can be to get what you want from the system? That is because the system is currently over-taxed with actual serious issues.

Not that having your door kicked in by a drunk in the middle of the night isn't an issue, because it is, but adding yet another case and set of bureaucratic pressures to our city's criminal justice system seemed irresponsible and unnecessary. And I'm not saying that the system is only there for criminals either. I know that in part, it exists to keep us safe. But adding another case to the system just seemed like I'd ultimately be doing more harm than good, that the resources used to address my problem could better used making sure that people who actually harm other people are taken care of in the best way possible.

This is not to say that I'm letting the issue slide. Compensations are being arranged. The perp now has my landlord to deal with, which will be punishment plenty.

I tell you all this not because I feel a need to justify my actions, but to offer another perspective on things. Next time you feel inclined to call the police about a matter in your life, please think long and hard before doing so. Just because a resource is there, it doesn't mean that its necessarily appropriate to use it.



In other news...I haven't posted all week because I was out of town. But, here I am. Not much news to report, other than I have decided that it's time to start putting out feelers for finding a new job. I can't leave just yet due to the fact that I feel somewhat obligated to see a project here out to it's end. That, and 46 turns 47 tomorrow. I have contemplated changing his nickname, but I feel that the original one can stay in place. After all, as I told him last week, 47 is the new 46.

3 Comments:

Blogger Lickety Split said...

HP...'Agent 47' is the cool bald videogame character from the "Hitman" series, is it not?

Sorry to have needed to catch up with the whole door thing. (Don't drink and dial folks! or text for that matter!).

I don't think you have to justify anything to anybody. Your perspective isn't way out there. Sure you have legal rights but as long as you are physically safe...then any other courses of action are reasonable if you think they'll meet with the desired effect. It's awfully big of you not to press charges. A lot of people would and Mr. Two-Beers-And-I'm-Callin'-The-Ex-For-NazT-Sex" is very lucky that you're you.

For that matter, aren't we all?

10:37 PM  
Blogger DC Discombobulated said...

At first.. no offfense... i thought you were really quite stupid for not pressing charges and the typical male attitude in me was chalking it up to "stereotypical female behavior"... but then i realized hey... what do i know... i don't even know you and was not there.

I reread your post and i have to humbly admit your reasoning is sound and actually quite wise! What a great angle - something everyone should think about.

12:15 PM  
Blogger Trouble said...

You know, having worked for a police agency, there are a range of possible responses to this scenario, many of which have nothing to do with creating another breaking and entering case for the criminal justice system to deal with. For instance, contacting the police might result in a simple phone call to M explaining the seriousness of his action and possible future ramifications of repeating it.

Most agencies would prefer to get a phone call early on in a situation like this versus a very different phone call far down the road from it.

Just food for thought.

4:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home