hey pretty

Ceci n'est pas une "dating blog."

Thursday, July 27, 2006

Not Bad, Actually...

So yesterday I was reacting to the prospect of a date like it was a trip to the dentists. Of course it was not actually that terrible. I arrived early to get settled and center myself a little (yes, that sounds dorky and new agey, it wasn't actually like that, I just prefer to be early). I worked on the crossword and was in good spirits when my date arrived because I was kicking crossword ass by that point. Will Shortz, look out! The date was nice. We drank beer and exchanged pleasantries and I didn't smoke a single cigarette. Every once in a while he looked at me as if I were endearingly silly (I am) and there were hardly any uncomfortable lulls. He wasn't really my type but I found him interesting, smart, of the correct political persuasion, a little cynical, and rebellious but mature enough to question his rebelliousness and wonder if it's always the most appropriate response to things. He passed the five minute test, so he gets another date if he wants one. Thing is, I don't know if he does.

Male readers, please help.

I had expressed a desire to leave by a certain time, so we did our best to have things wound down by then. When it was time to go, we stood up but rather than walking out together he said he was going to use the restroom and then go grocery shopping. He gave me a hug and a kiss on the cheek and we parted ways. I left feeling puzzled. The hug/kiss thing was fine and suggested that he liked me, but the whole restroom/shopping excuse sounded slightly fishy. Doesn't the guy usually want to walk you out? Maybe I'm just jaded. It's not that I'm obsessing (really, I'm not) I just like to know when my likes are one-sided. I'd much rather hear HJNTIY now, than to spend several days wondering what the deal is. I am particularly sensitive to scenarios such as this because this one time I was out with a guy and I thought we were meeting each other outside only he never came out so I went back in to find him flirting with the bartendress. So see, male readers, in addition to girls being crazy, we also place value in gestures like walking people out of bars. Now you know.

7 Comments:

Blogger I-66 said...

Odd.

I always will at least offer to walk the girl out/to her door/wherever no matter whether it went well. It seems a courtesy thing to me - like the proper thing to do. Yes, if I feel it did go well I might also see it as an opportunity to go for a kiss, but either way I'm walking her wherever she's headed.

I don't know that it's necessarily an indication of how he feels. He may just not be big on the walking.

3:00 PM  
Blogger Red Photography said...

See, I thought it was weird too. I sent him a perfunctory thank you email, so perhaps that will help illuminate things a bit better.

3:59 PM  
Blogger MJW said...

It is a little strange. My best guess, frankly, that he reeeeeeeally had to go to the bathroom and had put it off as long as he possibly could.

4:05 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I second what i-66 said. Odd. Shopping is not urgent. And since he knew there was a "time limit" he could have taken the bathroom break a bit earlier so as to wrap up the date in a courteous manner.

5:05 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

if you will recall, i enjoyed ONE of my stupid effing match induced dates...he was a good guy and we had a good time...when we left, after he gave me a hug and said it was fun, etc (perfunctory, i know), I AM THE ONE who said i wasn't going to my car but, rather, going to go shopping...maybe he though SJNTIY and that's why he never called back...or else i was a very bad judge of the experience. interesting. as such, i say don't worry about it. i liked him but wanted to go shopping and had planned to do so before i met him. so don't take it as a HJNTIY. really.

6:29 PM  
Blogger Reluctant Dater said...

haha, that last comment was mine. under my other alias. :-)

6:33 PM  
Blogger Red Photography said...

I think I'll listen to those of you who think I'm over-analyzing.

TGD: It's almost like you're a real person now. You should fill out your blogger profile so we can learn more about you. As of now, I simply know that you resemble a blobby-looking black flower-thing. And yes, I am nuts.

8:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home