hey pretty

Ceci n'est pas une "dating blog."

Wednesday, July 26, 2006

Feeling Not Groovy

So...I have a date in T minus two hours and counting. All day I have been feeling down for no reason. Just a little sad and like my mind is a TV with an owner who can't decide what channel to watch, so they just skip from station to station. I can't imagine I'm going to be much fun.

At lunch today the subject turned to women and fashion. A male coworker was interested in knowing how much time I take getting ready to go out. I replied that the majority of my wardrobe is composed of slim fitting neutral colored tee shirts and jeans, with a couple of more interesting pieces I bought for the specific purpose of wearing out on the town. There's little diversity and thus little guess work and although I often think it's boring, it also saves me a lot of time agonizing over what to wear. I have a theory that the amount of time you spend getting ready is inversely proportionate to the amount of fun you will have once out. Tons of prep time normally equals less fun had. But maybe that's just me. All this is to say that I have put very little effort into my outfit for tonight's tryst. Tight black tee shirt, jeans, high healed sandals.

I'm more concerned about what I will say to this person and if I can manage to be entertaining. Despite the fact that I feel like virtually the only single person I know these days, I have rather let go of feeling bad about not being in a relationship. Although this makes me cool and independent, it also makes me a little apathetic about going on dates, something I never thought I'd be. I used to love dates. These days, not so much. But I continue to go on them because I feel it's good practice. And canceling would be rude at this point. Perhaps if I pre-game before my date I'll have a better time. I guess it's bad that the prospect of being on a date is compelling me to drink, huh?

2 Comments:

Blogger Big Sky Girl said...

I feel very similarly about dating. To keep from feeling useless because you're not in a relationship,you kind of have to down play dating. And that makes it tough to be happy when someone asks you out, but at least it's better than being totally amped and then dissapointed.

12:36 AM  
Blogger Red Photography said...

Word. And you feel like you should be dating because how else will you ever get to know your future spouse, but sometimes it seems pointless because the odds of so-and-so being your future spouse are like, nill. Dating was easier two years ago when I dated to find people to casually hook up with.

2:21 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home