hey pretty

Ceci n'est pas une "dating blog."

Friday, March 24, 2006

Oh, That's the Problem, Is It?

No offense to the 23 year-olds I know but, ARE YOU KIDDING ME? How can people just barely out of college, most likely still growing their land legs in regards to assimilating into the workplace be at all qualified to write a management guide for women? I think of my own professional self at that age, shortly before I learned that I wasn't always right and that my simple English BA entitled me to very little at work, that I might have to prove myself in order to gain the respect of my managers. Even six years later I like to believe myself a little wiser, but nowhere near qualified to tell my manager how to do her job. Kids these days. What is it about Gen Y that makes them so damned insightful and better than the rest of us?

While I'm at it, doesn't this further reek of the disturbing current wave of anti-feminist back-stabbing among girls in popular culture these days? The one exemplified by tee shirts like this and this incredibly lame song?

3 Comments:

Blogger MJW said...

What is it about Gen Y that makes them so damned insightful and better than the rest of us?

It's that the oldest of them aren't yet old enough to know better.

3:32 PM  
Blogger Red Photography said...

the superiority of Gen X is once again magnified. Okay, that's unfair. I hate it when people do that lame pitting generations against one another shit. It's what annoys me about people my parent's age.

ah grunge, douglas coupland, bill clinton. where art thou?

3:51 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What is it about Gen Y that makes them so damned insightful and better than the rest of us?

1. The Baby Boomers had their chance, but then they elected Nixon twice and failed to do anything meaningful about the Vietnam War. Therefore, they deserve no credit in our eyes.

2. Generation X had their chance, but then they elected Reagan twice and gave us '80s pop culture. Therefore, they deserve no credit in our eyes.

3. Not enough of the Baby Boomers and Generation X took math classes in school, and you have set us up to get our asses kicked by many, many Asians. We (I) resent you all for this (we would have all loved to debate philosophy and symbolism in literature for 4 years at college, but some of us were, well, learning).

4. Not enough of Generation Y has moved into positions with any sort of power to make a significant difference, therefore we can't really blame anything on ourselves yet.

FYI - as a 23 year old male, I've got to say I'm ecstatic about the wave of anti-feminism that accompanies my generation (on many college campuses feminist is a very dirty word now). I mean, it’s sad on a purely ideological level, but it’s also kind of nice that we can go back to treating women like crap, because it’s just easier in practice.

5:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home